Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Teamwork

Today has been such a fun day. It is super cold here (oh no, 55 degrees!), and the girls and I have been inside most of the day. We had bagels for breakfast, made oatmeal cookies together for lunch, and are still contemplating dinner after a snack of cinnamon toast and Gatorade. I got caught up doing Mom things like vacuuming, wiping things, loads of laundry and dusting, when Grace pops the question: "So what are we gonna do today, huh Mom?"

I was taken aback since it was already 2:30 p.m. Like, hm, didn't all that tickling and playing monster and me yelling at you guys to stop fighting count as "things we are doing today"? I guess not... so I decided we'd put the crib up. Can you tell I'm SO EXCITED for this new baby? I honestly can't wait to bundle that little bug of a baby tightly in a blanket, nuzzle her head and lay her warm, sleeping, newborn baby body into her crib. CAN'T WAIT. Anyway, the girls 'helped' me put together the crib. I gave them the task of wiping down the wood of all the milk Ruby spilled on it every night for the last couple of years. They held their work attention span fairly well.

Then came time to "grab a couple of things to put in the crib for the new baby". I swear, I could put everything in quotes today because what I said was NOT what I got! They had almost their entire room full of toys up for possible donation to the new baby. Ruby ran around for the first few minutes of the undertaking, with no direction, throwing blankets around like a total nut. After some organization by Grace and some himming and hawing, they decided only a few choice pieces made the cut: an Easter Bunny Rabbit, a Koala bear, and a ball that is painted with Sponge Bob's Face. The ball, I was told by Grace, "Is for when like, the baby, wants to like maybe (she gets into the crib to demonstrate), throw the ball as fast as she can to see how far it will go". I could definitely picture the soft-spined, wobbly-headed little newborn doing just that.

As I write this, I just heard Grace downstairs slightly disgusted with the disarray that is Ruby's life, and of course never doing what she's told by her older sister. As a last effort to control her, Grace desperately quotes a line from a Nickelodeon cartoon, "Ruby, Ruby! What's gonna work??? TEAMWORK!!"

9 comments:

Debbi said...

oh I can totally see the newborn throwing a ball! what a hoot! How fun, putting the nursery up and washing all those little baby clothes are my favorite things!

TamiRichins said...

AHHH the wonders pets came through again! So cute how excited you all are for your new baby. I really hope the future holds a girl in store for our family. My day consits of Kyle making farting noises with his mouth and then giggling uncontrollably. I need to get a handle on it before Jackson gets old enouth to mimic.

Kate said...

Your girls are so adorable. And they really are growing up. I'll try and post a recent photo of Sarah soon. I wish you lived closer, so I could come and hang out.

Lindsey said...

Laughing out loud (as usual - you tell stories so well).

andy smylie said...

hi sarah

I have been reading your blog and really enjoying your photography for a week or so now.

You have a great talent for writing and telling how it really is. Love how you write of your family encounters.Your images of your beautiful girls and family are wonderful too. I wish I had been into photography when our kids were younger.

Good luck with the new bub. I like the name Emma but I am a little bias as that is the name of my eldest daughter. I like Bonnie too. It has a cheerful sort of ring.

Say hello to Jake for me too. XO

Rebecca Smylie said...

I must say, with two older sisters like that, #3 is bound to grow up way too fast. (teamwork? I'm dying). She might be throwing sooner than you think.

Rebecca Smylie said...

I must say, with two older sisters like that, #3 is bound to grow up way too fast. (teamwork? I'm dying). She might be throwing sooner than you think.

Lillie said...

So I don't usually actually laugh aloud when I read something. I think I need to hear voices and influction for that to set it--- but the ball and Grace's demonstration and your description... so funny.

Josh, Kim & Kids said...

We love the Wonder Pets at our house too!