Monday, February 11, 2008

Let's Pretend This Never Happened


It was 2 p.m. on Sunday. Church was over, lunch was over, Jake had settled in for a long winter's nap. I was tired, but there are always fun things to do besides take a nap, so I got on the computer upstairs. I thought I would do something churchy like... mm... read blogs. After a few minutes, a pleasant sound wafted up the stairs toward me. Laughter, giggling, unlike the usual. It hit me then. There can be peace in the world, there can be peace in my home, and my girls DO get along. I pictured them in a few years sharing secrets behind their closed bedroom door, me just an outsider to their tight sister bond. What a reward as a parent!

By this time, I'm on the family website, tinkering, I hear more laughter. This can't get any better!! I don't even have a movie on for them! They're getting along so well. Something happened in the back of my brain just then which I didn't recognize at the time, but I do now. Some kind of warning. But if they were making some kind of mess, I'm sure it is just with water or washable markers, and my girls having fun together is surely worth the clean-up I would have to do (or make them do).

Now I've moved onto watching a video of my neice in Utah who I miss so much. She's saying "Banana". So cute! The laughter from downstairs becomes louder and clearer as I hear the girls running back and forth along the carpeted hallway, onto the tile entry, and into the basket that holds our shoes. I can literally hear the wicker basket make that crunching sound every time they run into it. What could they possibly be doing? Ah well, onto perusing online for a maternity swimsuit (oh, the joy!).

I swing my head around to the landing just in time to see both girls charging up the stairs with HUGE giggly smiles all over their faces. They are both naked. No specific thoughts at this point. They run into their room where Jake had fallen asleep in Gracie's bed. They start telling sleeping Daddy that "Ruby... Ruby... (both of them laughing hysterically)... Ruby peed on the carpet and I..... DID....... TOOOO"! Wait, What? NO. NO.

I fly downstairs in a vortex that carries the girls right down with me. First thing, a shiny puddle with foot and body prints in it.. sitting on the tile next to the shoe basket. And for the first time, my mind catches up with the past sounds. Running, sliding, into the basket. They were sliding on Ruby's urine on the tile and having a grand time running into the basket. What Sunday fun! Before I even knew what took control of my body, both girls sort of flew through the air and onto the couch. My socks were now soaking wet from walking across the peed-on carpet, across the living area, and to the couch. I am beyond a grossed-out-livid-mean-monsterous-beast. Grace is sullen. Ruby is still trying to tell me about how funny it was, studdering something about "and then, and then, I slipped, and then it was so funny, it was funny, huh Gracie?!"

Seriously. My girls. Peeing, running, sliding.. Ruby has always been surprisingly mischevious. But Gracie? Who hasn't wet her bed in almost two years? Give me mud in their clothes, give me syrup on the couch cushion, give me milk on a pantleg, but when there's urine involved, watch me freak out.

24 comments:

Brittany said...

OH Man! That is awesome! I am so sorry you had to clean that up but that is a really funny story! Who knew they could be capable of such things!

{Erica} said...

holy cow that made me almost pee from laughing so hard...laughing because that didn't happen to me (yet:D)...haha..and and er...sorry that totally sucks! I don't know what i would've done! what did you do?

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAAAHAHHAHAH.....BBBAAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHA..... first things first... You are an amazing writer, I feel like I was there!! Second- I miss them so much!!! I would be willing to go through all of that if it meant see them soon..
Third- Where is Jake with the video camera?!

Anonymous said...

That was seriously the funniest story that I have heard in a while. I am so glad that other people's kids are just as crazy as mine are!

Anonymous said...

what children do #72
what mothers do #1-7

costco has really good anti-bacterial wipes...you can buy them in bulk.

YOU may want to buy stock.

i love you.

Ash said...

That is hilarious!! You poor prego girl...

Kim said...

We have had a similar experience. Hannah thought it would be fun to pee in her pants because Penelope did it. I freaked!

Debbi said...

Oh your blog is always so interesting to read! What creativity, what grossness, what a funny story! I bet Jake laughed! Poor Sarah - and you are having a 3rd girl to mix right in with them! What a great bunch!

Missy said...

You are so so so funny Sarah. I'm seriously dying at the way you told the story. I sort of can't believe it, but mostly think the whole thing is very funny. Your girls. I'd love to meet them...

Celeste said...

Oh my goodness that is one of the greatest stories I've heard!! You are going to have to keep this story to tell thier future husbands!!

Anonymous said...

love your blog. love the girls. love the story. love you. love, love, love. keep on sharing the love. ill call you soon.

LuCDay said...

I bet that was a nice wake up call for Jake. I can't even imagine. Do kids not picture the fit their Mom's will throw when they are doing stuff life that? It's nice of you to share so the rest of us could have a laugh at your expense. :o)

Lillie said...

Somehow I didn't catch the foreshadowing and was all wrapped up in the sister-bond I have to look forward to in my home... and them came the urine slip-n-slide. Sorry for your clean up-- but a really good story. :)

lori said...

Ummmm...maybe I should uninvite you to stay at our house for 6 months...mmmm..yeaaaah. Do i need to have the "Living Scriptures" vidoe sales people call you? Its just a suggestion. And maternity swimsuits? Are you on crack?

StrykerLOVE said...

hahaha - could be worse - once jack pooped in his pants and took them off - the poop flew in piles everywhere and then he tried to clean it all up by taking a white towel and rubbing it into more little piles on the carpet before I found him!!! - also try Modbe swim suits - my sis sells it so I've seen them and I have watch numerous prego ladies fit into the cute tankinis they have - cute cute cute!

Carrie and Jeff said...

oh the things I have to look forward to. Thanks for sharing this funny story.

Kim Sandberg Turner said...

You know, urine is sterile--when it first comes out! Don't know what you call it when it has been used as a "slip-n-slide"!

I am now in a quandary as to how it happened: surely you and Jenni are twins. Just how I carried you and how someone robbed you from the nursery; I'll never know. It will forever be one of the great mysteries of the universe! But honestly, you two think so much alike--it's scary.

Are there really two of you in this world? How blessed this planet is. How simply. . . .blessed.

Kasey said...

Oh my goodness...that is a story for the books! I can't believe that's what they were doing. I'm with ya...GROSS!

Clarke and Kamie said...

hey--cute blog! I'm glad you found mine! What a hilarious story--pee-pee fun! Good times!

Amy said...

Hi Sarah,
I just want you to know that I love looking at your blog.

I'm so sorry about the pee, but what a GREAT story to pass on through the generations. Better yet, to pass on to the boyfriends that come their way. What REVENGE!! haha

Just so you know, I still think you are AMAZING!!!
Love,
Amy Burnham

kevin said...

wow, very very strange. you might find it hard to believe but me, ruby and gracie share some of the same hobbies: nudity, water sports and making a mess. boggles the mind....

Rhiannon said...

OH my! That is funny. I hate urine with every fiber of my being. I'm sure I would have had the same reaction.

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

Hi Sarah, This is the funniest thing I've heard!! I'm not sure you even remember me ( I came to visit Celeste in Provo, before we went on our missions), but I had to say something! I'm really enjoying your creative writing and your amazing photos!

Amelia said...

I don't know you nor you me. I was on Lexie Lentz's (my sister's) blog and accidentally stumbled onto yours. I was looking at your beautiful pictures and happened to stop on this entry. I just had to leave a comment. I can totally relate to your story. I have 4 little ones and just recently potty trained 2 of them.
That was the cutest telling of such a horrible situation. You'll definitely be able to black male a couple teenage girls someday. I loved it!