Tuesday, October 07, 2008

We Had a Lovely Time.


I definitely got my work out. I lost the battle of "who would take Grace to Skate Night" (read: who wants to be repeatedly kicked in the shins with very heavy skates?). That girl looks little, but my back feels like it got punched and smashed with a baseball bat while straining all of my muscles too far to the right. It would be better if she actually tried to learn how to roller skate while they blasted ABBA songs and flared disco lights. But she was constantly searching for friends, any friends, with whom she might shoot a glance, "Your mom brought you to skate night too? Man, kindergarten is such a drag." And another pleasantry that I became painfully aware of: it's popular to fall down.

I reminded her to 'focus' and 'be steady' but that really didn't help since her feet are the size of life rafts. (Gracie, you get them from me and I sincerely apologize). So while I instructed her on how to steer her roller skates out of death's tight grip, her eyes darted up and away from me, into the dark, searching for her precious classmates that said they would come. All I saw were weary and confused parents, their brittle expressions ready to crumble if heaven forbid, their child fell down ONE MORE TIME. I felt the same way.

All I want to know is how she held it together falling on that little tail bone a thousand times? Because minutes before we left for the skating rink she was on the ground screaming for the world to end because of a tiny scrape on her knee. It's all about the audience.

9 comments:

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

waytogograce
sorrythatyoufelldown

Anonymous said...

...the audience and "what's your motivation?". i could be busting at the seams after a really good meal, feeling like if i even looked at another noodle i would lose it all...but offer me a mini-slab of that macaroni grill chocolate cake and you'd think i hadn't eaten since 1982!

way to get out there and do girls...big and small...we love you.

Anonymous said...

ps...love the new header. that picture looks like it was taken just for that spot!

Laken said...

How cute! Skate night sounds like a blast, despite the sore tailbone!

ariana said...

Just wait until she wants to drive the car. Falling on a bottom still padded with a some baby-fat might not be that bad.

WADE said...

I love how good they look in the boat. Grace has her hands in her lap, Ruby looking strait ahead..

Kristan Carter said...

Sarah,
I absolutely love reading your blog. You are such a great writer. I know I have told you this before but you still cease to amaze me. I just had a change to catch up..your kids are darling and I wish you where here so you could take Kali's 18 month pictures :(

Celeste said...

You are so brave. It's a good thing you weren't the one falling on you tailbone a thousand times!

Missy said...

This was so funny Sarah. I seriously hope blogs last through your girls teenage years just so I can read what you write...it's perfect. Like a book, but with someone I sort of, kinda know.