Thursday, May 22, 2008

Moving On and Growing Up


PLEASE LET IT BE OVER... I'm just sending that out into the nothingness, maybe this time around 35 weeks of pregnancy will be enough. But who am I kidding? I should just fall in line behind all the other weighty pregnant women of this world and wait. I think the last four weeks of pregnancy is a daunting journey of self-discovery. It's a mental and physical pain that only I can endure. Not even my husband's attempts at being sympathetic will really relate to the mountain that I am about to climb. And you would think that after you have a baby you are the most sympathetic to that last part of pregnancy, but those women have a baby bouncing around in their lap, and they're distracted. And God helps them forget the pain quickly so they'll somehow do it all over again.

On the lighter side, Miss Thaing #3 is growing and measuring right on. She'll be another 8.5-pounder. I am so excited to see, kiss, meet, greet, hear and cuddle her. Before I know it she'll be 1. Or I'll be attending her Kindergarten Orientation. Like I did today for Grace.

We get there. She's nervous. She has to go to the Science Discovery Room for activities while Dad and I listen to the principal talk and sign some forms for about an hour. She gets whisked away by a teacher who doesn't notice that Grace's bottom lip is tucked so far into her mouth that I think it's going to get bitten off. Her classic nervous face. I watch her walk down the hall a bit, only to see her feet skip once--the excitement just kicking in-- before she enters the classroom where all the other pre-kindergartners are.

They say she needs snack and lunch every day. She has to wear a uniform with plain white socks and has P.E. for 45 minutes a day. She has to be there from 7:50-2:30 and she can't be late. She needs to read a lot every night and she will have homework. When we pick her up after the school tour and orientation, she tells me that "One girl had nice hair" and that she "Played duck, duck, goose and picked a boy named D." and "Isn't that a funny name for a kid?" and "School is so, so, so fun!" She must have read something somewhere like, Phrases to Say to Put Your Mother's Mind at Ease Regarding the First Day of School. It helped. And all the Kindergarten teachers are really nice ladies who have taught there for years. And I'm taking deep breaths and being very, very calm. On the way home, she is playing with her balloon animal. One of the ears pops and it hurts her tooth and scares her, and she breaks out in a high-pitched, pitiful cry with huge tears streaming down her freckly cheeks. And I calm down even more because in the comfort of the family car, buckled into her booster, with her mom driving, she is still a baby. Phew.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

say it isn't so! i loved when you guys lived here and i could just throw gracie in the van and bring her home to "granma sharry's" and just have her all to ourselves for awhile. we miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

You are great. LOVE the events of the day description. We have all been there.

As for Miss Thaing #3, hang in there! The last 2 months of pregnancy are anything but FUN! Can't wait to meet her (via your blog, of course.)

Jodi said...

I won't lie! It is hard, but before you know it she will be asking "Mommy, CAN I go to school tomorrow?" That is when you know it will all be okay. My only bit of advice is play "lunch room" with her this summer if she is going to buy her lunch at school. I'll explain later...as I always say (another story for another day)!~

Kelly said...

I'm going through the same things with Ammon. It is so bitter sweet. I love reading your blog. Such a good writer. Always leaving me wanting more, to read. What a sweet girl.

Four weeks? No way! Wow. I hope you feel the same way I did when I went from 2 to 3. It was just an easier transition. Try to enjoy these last few weeks and rest. I can't wait to see her as well!

Josh, Kim & Kids said...

Thank you! As I sit here listening to my screaming newborn and brainstorming ways to help my out of control, attention seeking 3 year old, I am reminded I would rather be where I am than where you are. I hate those last days that seem longer than the whole other 8 months of pregnancy... I can still sympathize...after all it has only been 11 days since I was there. I am sorry! Good luck and I will pray for an early baby!

Lillie said...

Not just welling up in my eyes this time, but sneaking out and down my face, thick throat and everything. I can't imagine that day.

Do you ever feel grown up enough to have a kid in school... like real school? I still feel like I'm playing house.

Sarah said...

Almost there sarie....
I loved the description of Grace's orientation, there is just something about biting the lower lip that gives comfort and courage, I love Grace.

Missy said...

I totally have that welling up in the throat. Mostly because it makes me really nervous for when the day comes for me and Ave. Will I be ready? Will she?? She hates even the word nursery right now.

I'm glad Grace is still a baby...for you.

Brittany said...

Is she going to a private school? That seems like a really long Kindergarten! I am having the same issues as you and lots of anxiety about the whole thing!

Laura Ayers said...

Wow- Noah started kindergarten & although it freaked me out, it wasn't that different than preschool because he's 1/2 day. That's so different going all day! Whoa- you're life will be so different, but it won't take long to get used to it. Grace will love it too. They grow up too fast!

LeDoux said...

I think it's funny that our titles for our blogs this past week are almost exactly the same. i guess it means there is a lot of "growing up" and a lot of "moving." glad you are here with me to go through it with me!
xoxo

Celeste said...

I can't even imagine being where you're at with a kid going into kindergarten. Is it year round school there? I'm sure everything will be okay and if Grace is anything like you she'll be making friends like crazy.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarah

Dee said...

My heart goes out to you but the saying 'This too will pass.' was my saving grace. BUT then Heavenly Father sprinkled that heavenly dust and all memory was gone and I'm thinking 'I hope the next one goes so well.' Happy waddling!
love Shelley #5

Heidi said...

I have the baby in my lap but believe me I am sympathetic to you- those last few weeks of pregnancy are still clearly etchde in my brain (not to mention labor!).