Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Not bad for an old guy.






Dad,

In high school when you sang stupid songs and made me pancakes at 5am? I loved it. Loved it then and love it now. Sometimes you came in my room and interrogated me. In a nice way. I knew that you cared. Time went so slowly back then.

There was a volkswagen bus that we used as a tent while camping in the forest. There was a California coastal bay that you took us canoeing in before school one morning. There was your easy laughter, your willingness to cook and your skepticism.

I loved your innate ability to take orders from mom leaning its back against your sly tendency to quietly rebel against anyone else that tried to tell you what to do.

You never stop moving and doing and whistling and joking. You are the reason I cannot teach anything or anyone without an object lesson.

The love that you gave me dipped and pooled, and is now poured forth directly to my own daughters.

Some memories of growing up with you are sharp, but most are fuzzy. I'm sure yours are much sharper and that's the gift you get as a parent I guess. My best ones are the trip you took me and my best friend on when I graduated from high school. I learned so much during our 225 miles together, and at such a pivotal time in my life. Thank you for everything.

Happy Birthday.

Here are a few excerpts from your replies to my blog posts that make my day:

"what could be better than a toilet and a newspaper? better than a religious retreat..."

"that kid's got Jake written all over her face..."

"sobering to realize that it's the daily stuff that imprints character, personality, and a love for life and family."

"another cool part of raising girls is when they are raising girls...

"awesome, Sarah, life is for those who love - you are a lucky valentine..... Dad."


12 comments:

miriam said...

Those are some stellar pics!! I hope to have some sweet pics like that with my kids

miriam said...

that is when we have kids.....

Unknown said...

Gideon looks just like your dad. It's crazy. Also, I think maybe the cutest thing on little girls is the way the the tights scrunch up around the knees. I miss it and i love it.

Garbett Family said...

Love it! I totally remember Rachel looking just like that... :)

Garbett Family said...

P.S. I remember your dad having to stop and fix the V.W bus on a Y.M.Y.M outting. He used gum and duct tape to fix it.... I was SO impressed!

Garbett Family said...

That would be Y.W. Y.M.

LuCDay said...

Your Dad was Dad to much more than 9 kids. You're one lucky girl! By the way, I don't think I've ever seen that family pic. Rach looks like "little orphan Annie", you, well you're just accentuating the positive, Hannah looks like she's about to sneeze and Jared is so unimpressed. And your parents looks like they're trying not to laugh. I love it!

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarah

badknee said...

haaaahaaa!!!! katie....thats not gideon, thats jared!!! the baby is miriam!!! but anyways, dude that last pic is the best!! i never knew rachel had frizzy curly hair like that....

Missy said...

Could Ruby be any more of a girl version of your brother??

Love this birthday post. Happy Day to your dad...

Celeste said...

LOVE these old photos!

nevadanista said...

Love those pics! Happy birthday Rick :)