Thursday, July 10, 2008

Be Nice To Your Mother.

When Ruby was a newborn, she used to shoot her poo straight toward me in hyper-speed while I changed her diaper. Really, it was QUITE the phenomenon. And it was always when I wasn't looking, when I had turned away for half a second. One time, Jake's sister Ali was with me and she witnessed the strange event when Ruby shot poo and it took on an indescribable form and landed in a huge glob on my shirt. Only to stick there, me laughing uncontrollably, until I could swipe it off. That little infant has grown into a girl and she is every bit as unpredictable. It's hard to have the propensity for her "question marathons" these days. It's hard to be patient as she bounces off every wall in the house. But she used to be my baby and she isn't anymore, so I force myself to have patience MOST of the day. We're doing fairly well.
Here is a photo shoot that went awry. Sometimes Lillie doesn't want to sleep in a tiny basket. And I don't blame her. I keep saying to myself, I have THREE kids. I have THREE daughters. It's weird. It's strange and wonderful. It makes me picture the future. Taking them to concerts when they're 15 (assuming that they'll have good taste in music), cooking together and hiking together and sitting in the kitchen late at night talking. My dismay when they won't go to bed for the 50th time and are running around their room being hyper sisters together. I hope they share things. I hope they share with each other and share with me. I hope a thousand things, but I'll start with this: I hope they will always be nice to their mother!

16 comments:

Carrie and Jeff said...

I hope the same thing for my boys. Benson isn't very nice to me sometimes. He's just mad when I feed Owen and I can't get him what he wants that very second. I also hope to have cute girls like yours someday.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarahhavegreatday

Anonymous said...

if you start all that talking and sharing stuff now while they are unsuspecting then i think it's just a natural consequence that it will continue when they are older. you just have to practice your poker face so they can't see the surprise, or fear, that may register when they share some of their late night or even mid-afternoon stories.

and how can that lillie still look like the most beautiful thing on earth when she is crying inside a basket. i just want to love on her. i just want to love on them all.

Debbi said...

"Sometimes Lillie doesn't want to sleep in a tiny basket. " That is my favorite sentence out of this entire post. Sarah, you amaze me, not only do you have time to take care your 3 little ones, you can take pictures of them, and make up witty posts.

Dena said...

I so enjoy your blog. Really. I get so excited when I click on Sarah S. and there's something new for me to read. I just love you. How weird of me to say that when we've never even met. Sheesh! And, yeah...the tiny basket. My mother used to stress me out when I was Lillie's age, too. She'd pull my hair up like Pebbles Fintstone. And I would cry. I had a lot of hair (see my child). I love your hopes and wishes for the three sweet peas.

{Erica} said...

lillie is adorable. It sounds like Ruby was like my 2 girls with the whole poop thing...seriously it was funny...but not so funny at the same time. Man did they get distance.

Lillie said...

I want more--- more from the crazy photo shoot. One of that precious baby was not enough. But oh how cute.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

seeyoutonight

Missy said...

I feel like all is right in the world now that you are back to blogging. Only better because now you have stories to recount with THREE girls, not only two.

I hope we stay in touch long enough that I continue reading about how you have the things you wish for when they come true. Without a doubt you'll be the mom that has all those things (late night conversations, cooking moments, sore feet from hiking...)

Anonymous said...

I love Lillie's face in that picture...classic upset baby! Post more pics of her...I love looking at them :)

Celeste said...

SO sweet... and I am also saying... "Sarah has THREE kids!" ... you are such a great mom and I can totally see you going to concerts with them when they are old... you can show them how to shake it and do the worm too :)

Rachel Brown said...

i love that you tried posing her. when i look at these shots of my babies i know only i will remember trying to sit them up on the couch before they could sit. my photography isn't as great as yours, though. i always love your pics.

i don't know if it is true for others but having THREE was like crossing some mommy threshhold for me. one would have been easy except i had no idea what i was doing. two, i had a hand for each one, but three filled me with new fears. Amazingly after that adjustment in my approach, number four was hardly any adjusment at all. if you can do three, you can manage a crowd! That was my experience, anyway.

so enjoy them every day. i just want my three girls to like each other. sharing a room seems to bring out the worst in their personalities, some days.

LuCDay said...

"Be nice to your Mother" ie: don't shoot poo at her. I hope Lillie gets the message. One of these days we should use our video cams so I can see all of you in full annimation!

Kelly said...

It must be the second child/middle child thing because your Ruby sounds a lot like my Cohen.

Such a sweet post. I know you and your THREE daughters will be doing all of those things. And with such a wonderful mom like you they will be nice to you.

Now does Lillie really sleep in that basket? Not a bad idea. And such a cute pic. How is she by the way? Beside adorable. How is she treating you guys?

Kelly said...

It must be the second child/middle child thing because your Ruby sounds a lot like my Cohen.

Such a sweet post. I know you and your THREE daughters will be doing all of those things. And with such a wonderful mom like you they will be nice to you.

Now does Lillie really sleep in that basket? Not a bad idea. And such a cute pic. How is she by the way? Beside adorable. How is she treating you guys?

maren out my laundry said...

you are the most amazing mom! Much like you I love being a mom to a daughter and my hopes and desires for our relationship are much the same and you bring me to tears reading about it. Love it! you are amazing and have such beautiful little girls!