Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Dreaded Night.

Last night was The Dreaded Night. I knew this time would come, I didn't know when, or why, but it had to. It was inevitable. I knew it was The Dreaded Night the moment Grace announced from the back of the car that "Nicholas kissed me!". Fear rose in my stomach and sent an itch over my entire body. It was just the thing that made me realize tonight we would have to have The Dreaded Talk.

Maybe I'm too reactive or a little overzealous, but I sat her down and thought it was important to start with the real names of girl and boy anatomy. Just in case they used those names at school or anywhere else. We got to the correct name of the girl's anatomy and she did mention that it sounded like a Spanish word from China, and I had to agree with her there. I suppressed a giggle and moved on (see how mature I am?). What's an appropriate kiss was demonstrated as well as an appropriate hug. We talked about many other things that are sensitive and important. Of course, I didn't explain The Big One, but she's a little young for that. I started out simple.

After contemplation, I think it was the perfect age to start. She wasn't really that embarrassed to say or hear anything, but smart enough to realize these things are private and important. I told her what to tell boys that want to kiss or show or hug too much: "Back off Buddy!" We pinky-promised full disclosure with only each other. It went really well for our first installment. I am very afraid of what my future holds as a mother of daughters, all with very kissable lips (trust me, I know). What in this world am I going to do? How will my heart, with it's thin walls and destructible pulsing purpleness hold up with all this free Kindergarten Love? Pray for me, do pray for me.

18 comments:

LuCDay said...

I was so worried about that with Alex so we talked before school started. Kids have tried to get her to kiss other kids and she's just told them "no way, I don't want to get worts". She heard another Mom tell her son at the bus stop that kissing at their age gives you worts. Her "best buds" are all boys right now and at first I was worried but after seeing them play together at school I've realized that they really are "just friends" and she doesn't see it any other way. THANK GOODNESS. Poor Grace and her kissable lips.

Rebecca Smylie said...

You just grew about forty years in my mind. Really? You had the conversation? A Spanish word from China? Kills me.

Ann Dee said...

you do have BEAutiFUL GIRLS. mY BOY keeps trying to thwart my tYPING. I WONDER what's sCARIEr. Kissable girl lips oR a ROWDy boy (S).

Debbi said...

You are so right that your girls have kissable lips! They are gorgeous, and you might be having this talk a lot! I love that she thinks things sound like a word from China. What a good mom you are, I think your timing and explanations sound perfect. Including the pinky-promise!

Caitlin Rose said...

haha that's hilarious.
She is 5 and has already kissed a boy.
I am 18 and have yet to kiss a boy.
Maybe Grace can help me in the boy department and find one for me. :)

Unknown said...

Oh I laughed so hard from this little post. But I can't believe little Grace is so old!!! What happened?!? Good work telling her to say Back Off Buddy; I'm sure my parents started off that gently. . .once I got into high school, my dad used to tell me to bite off boys fingers if they tried gettin fresh with me. Ha ha. He's a little overprotective.

Carrie and Jeff said...

I'm not looking forward to days like those. Best of luck for more days like that in the future. And of course I'll pray for you.

Lillie said...

I got tears at "We pinky-promised full disclosure with only each other." If I don't get anything else right, that's what I'm hoping will work for me as a mom...

you're just too cute Sarah.

Melissa said...

Can you blame him. She's absolutely irresistible!

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarah

LeDoux said...

oh boy. it reminds me of when i was little. i remember many many of those talks with my mother. Although i remember being the one that initiated them. isn't that wierd? i swear i remember WANTING to talk with her about that stuff! she answered all my questions and never made me feel wierd but i swear she must have been going, "why is this seven year old telling me all of this?"

Missy said...

My boss through college and I are really good friends. She was like a mom to be throughout my years at BYU. She had five girls and I remember talking to her about her first "talks" with your girls about this exact subject and thinking, "I totally want to be just like that with my daughters someday."

You just made me realize that it's totally doable. You did exactly what she said.

dude said...

It's almost time to break out the shot gun Jake!!!

Lisa Henderson said...

SARAH! I cant believe that April found you! What a beautiful family! How funny that it looks like you have all girls and I am pregnant with my third boy! Im on bedrest so Im so excited to sit down and read all through your blog. Your photography is amazing!

I sent you an invite to our blog, Im so glad to be back in touch...
Love,
Lisa

ariana said...

I kissed a boy in kindergarten, then he moved away. I didn't kiss another boy until Derick. The nice thing is that you are not the only one looking out for these little girls. So, you might be okay. On another note, Rachel had the "The Big One" talk with Lizzy recently (she's seven!), so you might prepare yourself. I'll let Rachel explain that one.

Ash said...

She is too little!!! Stop letting her grow up!

jakenapril said...

geez. i might have to call you for a how-to book. we haven't gotten there yet, and i'm not really looking forward to it. but i appreciate your words. you have a great blog.

Celeste said...

You are such a great mom... I'm sure that talk was perfect and I know that when the day comes for me to talk to my kids I'll totally butcher it! So crazy that Grace is learning this all so young. I love that you taught her "back off buddy!" ...that's perfect.