Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Infant Baby Has Hairy Thighs.

I think the baby honeymoon is over. I have had a couple of days with the girls and it has been no walk in the park. Grace and Ruby are back to their normal antics, eating water-logged pretzels and filling cereal bowls with honey while I am upstairs trying to stretch out my morning sleep. I trust they are safe and behaving, but only one of those is usually true. Lillie is still full of gorgeousness and even a night of fitful sleep (not even 1 solid hour at a time last night) can't deter me from LOVING her, kissing! kissing! kissing! her, and unraveling my impatience faster than it takes to stride from my bed to her crib.

It's the little things I will remember forever. The way Ruby's toenails curl a little bit on the right side. The smell of Grace's little kid sweat. Lillie's hairy thighs. Her body wrapped tightly in a blanket, her mouth in an "oh" shape, not making one tiny sound. The way the low light of nighttime spills across her face, her lips, and it's only her and I. In the dark silence of night. It's something that's taken me all these years and three little girls to appreciate. That newborn-baby-nighttime thing.

I cooked dinner last night. Ya. And I picked up Grace from school with Ruby and Lillie in tow. I am proud of myself! Now if I can only get the baby section of my brain to reattach itself to the rest of my brain, that will really get me back into real life. Generally, I space out when people are talking to me, I don't answer my phone much, and Grace and Ruby's bedtime keeps getting EARLIER. I even go to the baby section while grocery shopping when I don't need anything.. just to peruse the wipes and binkies and whatever else will remind me of her. What can I say? I love my life.

13 comments:

Missy said...

I love the hairy peach fuzz on newborns. Avery always had it on her back. It's just too cute.

How do you do it all Sarah? The lack of sleep, I mean. I'm nervous for that most I think...mainly because I love my sleep.

But, you sound GOOD. Show us a picture of you with your girls.

lori said...

Sara..okay...your life is mirroring mine. wow. poor Reese. i just cant get enough. And it just gets better. Reese smiles and coos at me all of the time. She tries so hard to talk to me with such a look of concentration. It melts my heart. just you wait..you will inevitably fall more and more in love.

sheri rog said...

Hi! It's me again.
Sharon thinks we'd be good friends...I think she's right because our little Olivia was at one time going to be a Grace, a Ruby or a Lilly! (it looks like we share an affinity with old names)

I enjoyed the reminder of those early sleepless nights, where it's just you & her & she's curled up on your chest.

Here's to our daughters & to friendships made through blogging!

Jordan said...

Congratulations on a beautiful little girl! She reminds me of you, Sarah and your other girls. What a beauty!
Love, Jordan

Kristie said...

You're doing so well Sarah. I too have put the kids to bed reeeally early. On those nights Ewan has come home and just as he goes to ask why the kids are in bed he takes one look at my face and realises that it is safer for them to be there. xx

Debbi said...

You are amazing, way to go on your first day picking up Grace (is she in year round school?) and making dinner, I still remember the day that I made my first dinner after Gage was born, it was the best feeling in the world. haha!

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarahhavegreatday

Sarah said...

you are doing an incredible job, I hope i can be like you someday!!:)

Anonymous said...

You have a BEAUTIFUL blog. I have never left a comment for anybody before, but this site is amazing. You seem to have a wonderful life, and more importantly, a wonderful sense of what is most important in your life. You write well. This is a description of feeling, not a "brag site." You will cherish this forever. PS. I am a mom of 3 (and wife to 1!) in Salt Lake City.

Dena said...

Love your stories, sister. You could post about Lillie's belly button or Ruby's left pointer finger, or Grace's right big toe and I'd never get enough. You are amazing. Simple as that. SO GREAT picking up Gracie at school for the first time with your newest carry-on. And, yes, stretch your sleep out. Who cares if there's honey in the cereal bowl...it washes out eventually.

Lillie said...

I love to read you. I feel happier and luckier to be a mom every time I do. You've got three lucky girls.

Celeste said...

How sweet. I am in Aww of how great a mom you are... to 3 beautiful girls... I love how you love them and love your life.

Michelle said...

I agree with what everyone said. You write very well, and certainly don't brag. I think both you and your girls will look back at this blog and be grateful to have it. The things you describe come to life. I love reading it, it always makes me smile.