Monday, August 25, 2008





I've been reading the news today. Doing so can really steal the magic out of my day, but today, it has knocked me to the ground with gratitude.

It is so unfair that children have to grow up without parents. That grown women have to wake up every morning to memories of abuse and violence from which they will never mentally heal. That people in America have brothers and sisters that are shot in the street, mothers that die of cancer, and fathers who just don't ever come back. That's just mentioning a few.

What about the parts of the world that have no way of getting help because their government is too currupt to allow it? Why were they born at that time, in that country, only to suffer huge amounts of sorrow? There are people who are dying slowly of starvation, or in plane crashes, or by people that they once trusted. Why was I born into a good family, receiving a lifetime of blessings by birthright? I have my mental capacities, my children, my husband, my family, my physical needs met.

I look at the face of the third little life I've created and just can't stand it. I am so grateful for her, and the other two girls. One green, one brown and one blue pair of eyes looking up to me for guidance. And I guess for them, I don't want praise, honor and achievement to be their goals. If they could just give themselves away, little by little, to those who have much less than them, they will feel enriched and successful. And that's all a mother can hope for.

10 comments:

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hihhopeyouhadfunmall

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

soosad

Debbi said...

wow. Your posts are always so great and amazing to read. Your words are so true. We have so many blessings with our families we don't even know. Your 3 girls are so precious and have the best mom (and dad) in the world to raise them. Thanks for reminding me today what I should be grateful for.

Regi said...

Thanks for the prospective adjustment. I love your insightful posts especially the ones about gratitude.

Kristie said...

Thanks for this post. Sometimes it takes looking at what others have/haven't to really appreciate what we have.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarah

Celeste said...

I love your words. It reminds me how grateful I need to be for the life I've been blessed with and how I need to do my part to reach out to others in need.

Anonymous said...

sarah - i figured you'd head to the orlando show for sure - does lillie do bottles?...just a thought?!

Anonymous said...

i wish we lived closer so we could go together - i'm a little jealous you guys get ingrid - but we get priscilla so shouldn't complain. yay!!

we have a baby boy in our ward born just a few hours before lillie in the same day - he was a nice fleshy newborn too - when i see him i always thing of lillie and how she's doing the same little baby things him...it's a nice reminder.

we miss you all so much - wish we could see you - just pack up the girls next time gracie has a school break and come see us. we don't have enough babies or girlie girls in our house these days. love you.

Lillie said...

Lots and lots of goosebumps.

Beautiful.