Friday, April 11, 2008

My New Daytime

It was 4 in the morning. I had gone to sleep at 1:30. I woke up to Ruby whimpering, which is completely normal. I usually just ride the sound wave or go in her room and drag the blankets up to her neck until she is snuggled in. As I lay there, I felt our new baby kick, kick, kick. This is going to be my new "daytime" come June! So I hoisted (every pregnant woman knows what I mean by this word) myself out of bed and dragged myself into the girls' room. Ruby was still whimpering and doing this weirdo, "eh, eh, eh". A cross between coughing and clearing her throat. Usually Grace tells her, "Ruby just do, AHEM!!" Ruby does not get the concept.

Jake is sleeping the night at his parent's house with his little sister while his parents are out of town, so I'm on my own... I creep up to her bed and see that she's thrown up a little on her pillow, and has yet to lay in it. My luck! I quickly scoop her up before she gets it in her hair and we go to the bathroom to see if she has any more. Grace is awake now and quickly at my heels to gawk at her little sister, expecting her to do something "super gross". Ruby lays her head on my lap and her body stretches out on the bathroom rug. Grace inches her face toward her little sister and says, "Aw, poor little girl." I smile at her in spite of the hour.

I get Ruby changed and back in bed.. stroke her hair for a few minutes. She lets me snuggle her so tight, and never pulls away. She lets me put my nose to hers and we breathe the same air. Her physical closeness will always be her gift to me, and I love it. And she's back to sleep. I am not so lucky with Gracie. I climb in her bed for a moment, all the world is still quiet and dark and she promptly tells me that we should name our new baby Mark and that "wouldn't it be a great name for her, wouldn't it Mommy??" Yes, yes, it would be Gracie. That's a good name. Yes. Now go to sleep, ok? Ok, Good night. I haul my body off the bed once more (gets harder and more painful each time. It's 5a.m. now).

A minute and a half snuggled up against my body pillow, my whole body in a state of extreme fatigue, and I am on the edge of something sleepy... something wonderful... Grace comes in, walking softly. I think she thinks it took me one minute to fall asleep and she is just going to sneak on in. I let her come in, climb under the covers, and I reach over and rub her arm. She gently pushes my hand away. She burrows her head next to me in my pillow, but won't let me stroke her hair because she still has a lot to say. "Daddy's taking a long time with Jessie", and "Throwing up is not nice, huh?" and (kicking her leg against the mattress repeatedly) "It is SO LATE I am SO TIRED". Until 5:30. And then her breathing slows down, and we all drift finally into something resembling a good night's sleep.

She wakes up like a firecracker a little before eight muttering something about needing to spray some of my perfume on her neck. As she rummages through my bathroom cupboard for the perfect scent, Ruby wakes up. She has been lethargic and clingy all day, but I don't mind. Give me a girl anyday who feels sick but hardly throws up. The perfect child! Now I've got two girls who are in the "sick bed" together and who both empthatically insisted I open the bedroom window because, "Sick girls need fresh air!"

This is a good life we live.

8 comments:

The Adamson Chipmunks said...

That was so sweet! Much better than my nightime experience! I hope your girls feel better soon.

Missy said...

I was waiting for the sentence that they were up for the day at 6:00 am (because that would be my daughter) and it never came. Long night, I'm sure, but incredibly sweet making me wish I could sit across from you, with strawberries in hand and talk about what it is like to be a mom to two girls.

Kristie said...

I really enjoyed reading that, you have a gift with words. Hope the girls are feeling better soon. xx

Lillie said...

Hooray-- I'm back just in time to hear a perfectly Sarah-esque story making me love motherhood in all it's pain and glory. i love your blog.

sharry said...

love the new look - very bright and springy.

hope rubes is feeling better. loved reading this beautiful ode to motherhood.

love you and your little family - kisses all around!

Debbi said...

Oh I hope that they feel better soon and I hope that you get Jake back so you next time you can rest - it's hard enough getting comfortable when you are pregant! I love reading your blogs

Celeste said...

That is the sweetest story. You make waking up in the middle of the night sound so nice. You have the cutest girls.

Rebecca Smylie said...

So beautifully written. Absolutely love the image of you holding her close. It's true that some fifteen years from now all we're going to want is to hold them so, so close. It hurts to think about that.