Wednesday, April 16, 2008

30 Weeks

So there's this job, it's supposed to be one of the most sought-after positions in the nation. I looked into it. Here are the details: You go to an orientation for the company. You meet with the directors and they tell you the basics. How many days you work, what effect the job has on your daily life, the demands of the position, etc. They do not mention pay (compensation) at this time.

The most interesting aspect of this job is they have a computer program where you can create your own manager. Once you create your manager, you have no say in how that manager fits with your personality. It can be difficult considering this manager, even if you stand your ground, almost always wins control. You are stuck with this person (or people, depending on how many managers you request) forever and there is no option to change once one is assigned. This job is demanding, and a GOOD day with your new manager consists of 5,000 more tasks than you ever had with previous managers! Job compensation is still not discussed at this time.

After you have agreed to most details, you are then asked to go through a company initiation process. Not all have to do the initiation, but 95% of incoming employees do. This is rigorous, and something that this company is known for! Access to their hiring systems reveal the truth about this process. A new employee is to lay down on her back on a padded table. She is tied with hand and foot restraints. A weight is lowered from the ceiling and gently placed directly on her hip and pelvic area. The weight starts out at 5lbs. Throughout the initiation, more weight is added, until the harness above the pelvis weighs 30lbs. When the process comes to an end is when the initiation takes a painful turn. The weight harness is finally lifted off the pelvic area and then lowered several times in rapid succession until the employee can hardly stand or walk. Welcome to the company! You are given your job task directly after the initiation and expected to perform well.

After you are hired and you meet your manager, you begin to realize that the directors glazed over a lot of details in the orientation! The actual demands of the job are as follows:

7 day work weeks.
3 days off per year maximum (days may NOT be taken off in succession, but are a cumulative of hours and minutes taken for oneself. Many times the job is too demanding to take even 1 day off. Spouses may or may not be understanding of your need for time off).
The job is physically demanding, even after the initiation.
More initiation sessions may be required, some planned, some a total surprise.
You will wear the scars of this job your entire life which include but are not limited to, weight gain, bad skin, saggy boobs, brain malfunction, emotional strain, some psychotic behavior, laughter at all things morose, longing for more, constantly being needed for something and an eternal case of cabin fever.
This job is met by the public with several different reactions including but not limited to, disdain, admiration, jealousy, fascination, pity, disgust, annoyance, judgement and intolerance.

Pay will either be handed out in undetermined and unannounced increments, or in many scenarios, may not be determined until the end of your tenure (up to 60 years later).

22 comments:

LeDoux said...

hahaha. i love the part about other people's perceptions of being a mother: annoyance, pity, jealousy. i totally used to judge mothers. i don't know why? and i thought that mothers that worked outside the home were somehow doing something more, but now i totally realize that those mother's lives were completely out of control. their kids were terrible and their houses were out of control. but, being a stay at home mother is a totally thankless job. even today D. asked that when he comes home can he "please, not have everyone bug me." i almost dropped dead when he said that. and he has no idea what is in store for him tonight. but thank you, sarie. for being so honest in the face of having yet another "manager" on the way.
xo

lindseyj said...

Boy do I hear you on this one. It's amazing how you forget every time what it's like.

Anonymous said...

the incentives, rewards, and compensations received thru this company and it's line of work are the only ones we can get to keep and take with us when we retire after 80 or 90 years - they will also be of great benefit as we move onto our second career post-humously, where, to my understanding, their will be no retirement offered.

Debbi said...

My two favorite parts of this whole post? - the part about 3 vacation days that are minutes just added up and the parts about your body showing the scars. how funny - but just today I was watching Noah throw himself on a big ball so he could fall off the other side and hit his head laughing over and over again and thought - I really wish I could freeze time and keep him like this for at least another year. I love the rewards!

StrykerLOVE said...

you got suckered in to that company too huh?

JW4 said...

Very well said!

Celeste said...

This is so funny... and... thank goodness for adoption!

Brittany said...

You are amazing! Can you please be an author one day?! Every single post you have is poetic and beautiful. I must copy you sometimes! Hope you don't mind! And I love love love your pregnant picture!

Eve said...

Wow! This is great!
Can you believe what we actually agree to go through, more than once, just to be parents?
It's insane.

Eve said...

P.S. You should see what I did to get this job! Wink..wink...:)
I'm copying this and giving you credit.

Kristie said...

I wouldn't want any other job..you get paid in smiles, laughter and you get long service leave in the form of memories. xx

Michelle said...

I know I don't know you that well, but I totally agree with Brittany! By the way this is Michelle at Fibertek!:)

Lillie said...

I think I might make Ross read this. Sometimes I worry he thinks I'm one of the weak ones... after being so certain I was a rock pre-marriage, I have children and am most definitely a bit psychotic at times, and often found complaining about said cabin fever, lack of pay, and no days off. It's a tough job. LOVED the post. It's no wonder two Smylie brother married you and Rebecca. Just too clever. :)

Tara said...

how did you ge to be such a genius? you should be told that at least 32 times a day. I wish i had a tape recorder for all of your thoughts and then i could play them again and again so i could get smarter and have the insight you do.

Dinah said...

This post is a keeper. It is so well said. We stand in awe of your genius. No pulitzer prizes but lots of smarmy kisses and memories. Keep writing...A/di

Rebecca Smylie said...

Sarie--how on earth did your head come up with that description of labor? You're a funny, funny girl. So well written. 30 weeks, huh? So seven months. You are doing so well. Keep it up. Keep having managers. And remember that in this world, you'll get old and suddenly, you'll be the manager. They'll be fetching you things and finding you a nursing home in no time.

Dee said...

I don't want that job. Yet there is something inside of me that needs to keep that job so that I can be a good and faithful servant. Because lets face it that's what we are.

Brittany said...

You are so sweet! I wish you still lived here too but I can't imagine how fun Florida must be! There is more hope in my heart today. We will see I guess!

Carrie and Jeff said...

That is too funny. When I first started reading I was like...Sarah, why would you want to look into this job, it sounds awful. Then I realized after reading a little what it was. The things we do for our kids. Love em!

Anonymous said...

Once again......you are amazing! You look great, as I told you earlier today! Being at your house the other night brought back so many memories, watching you with your girls........I remember days w/ 4 toddlers and a baby and being phychotic. I'm only 40 and I don't feel that old, but just to let you know..I'm starting to get some pay....(well other than the kisses and hugs from my kiddos over the years). Our 2nd oldest is 19, and about to embark on a huge next chapter in her life (joining the Marines) it is with great reward knowing that she is awesome and our conversations are awesome and her many many thanks to her dad and I for making her the person she is......is now my pay. Recently our 17 yr old (about to graduate HS) told me how thankful she was as well......made me cry!! So if I can just get through (with many gray hairs)...raising our 16 & 11 yr old I will feel like a job well done. I only wish......I had had your knowledge and insights while they were young! Yes, you most definately need to be an author! You are truely a gal that
leaves an impression on your friends hearts.....thanks! Cj

Kelly said...

This is the greatest post ever! Seriously it HAS got to be published in something. You are amazing Sarah. I love that you are always making me laugh about our "job".

Anonymous said...

Where the heck do you come up with this? You are the funniest ever! It makes me miss you more and more. Stop it! I am going to forward it to Gaylynne, she may want to use it in R.S. if that's okay, cuz it is too FUNNY! You didn't mention the fantastic benefits...like when they are asleep or they say you are pretty or when they actually do SOMETHING they are supposed to do without being ASKED! Huge benefits...