Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Quick.


Last night we had one of the girls up really late. Thirst, starvation and loneliness plagued her and the both of us gave in. She sat on Jake's knee on the couch and I nestled my back into the opposite corner and just watched them. They were playing rock-paper-scissors, but a much livelier version, containing hand signals, voyeurism and imaginary inventions.

She was laughing, loud, contagious, repetitive. He kept touching her hair, tucking it behind her ears. She was full of a bright light. She loves him. She learns about the world through he and I. I got scared then. Wondered if she'll stay close and listen to us. If she'll dye her luscious black hair someday. I know I'll be proud of her. I know I will cry at every mature turn she makes.

I wonder if they will ever know how much I watch them. Stare at them while they watch Ice Age and eat pretzels. Watch the light bounce down their forehead, cheeks and lips like a waterfall. How often I position the rear view mirror so I can watch my girls play and my baby fall asleep in her car seat.

I get a feeling that knocks me over, quick and stern. How fast time passes by.

5 comments:

jakenapril said...

amen to that. too quickly, if you ask me. soak it all in. all of it...while we can.

i need to thank whoever invented the camera...priceless invention.

Missy said...

How do you develop that kind of relationship with your daughters to that one day when they do dye their hair, they ask you to help them with it rather than do it behind your back? How do you think? Any ideas?

sharry said...

how do you do it...you buy them a treat when it's just the two of you and swear them to secrecy...you let them sneak out of bed when the "little ones" are asleep and then stay up beyond what you all know to be resonable.

love you all.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarah

Kathy Nalder said...

Sarah,
How fast our little ones really do grow up. I can't believe my baby girl is getting married to a most wonderful man in four days. Hold them tight and keep watching them. You will always have those memories.
Kathy (Katie's Mom)