Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Monster Grace

Devil, please stop possessing my child between the hours of 3-7pm every day. I do not know how to excuse this behavior other than, "she's tired", or "she's just cranky from school" or "Monster Grace is here with us again", what else could it possibly be? She's regretting her decision to be part of our family? All the other moms let their children eat junk food and watch T.V. all afternoon and she feels left out? I am staying away from excuses like, "it's her personality", or "she'll probably always be like this". I will continue being patient with her if she can please spare me even the slightest possibility that I'll suffer any more emotional abuse. Because I just can't take it.
When she's sweet, she's so sweet. Telling me all about her friends and the table where she sits and how music and art are going. She tells me her teacher thinks she's awe-some and how I should put oil in her hair like Molly does and that she wants me to meet her for lunch. It reminds me of times past when we would be together all the time and I would be able to predict her mood swings coupled with the rhythm of the day and I was definitely more in control. Now, I feel like I just duck and cover.
How can a child (who can read and write words and sentences, counts in fives and tens, does math and homework) have absolutely no ability to put a cap on her emotions? It baffles me. Good thing I love her squeezable self so much that I don't pick up and leave the house in the middle of her cyclone of screaming. It's all I can do, just to sit quietly and not grab the duct tape, know what I'm sayin?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know duct tape comes in different colors now?

If you find the "cure" please share, as I am sure there are plenty of mommies out there with under aged emotional pre-adolescent psychopathic little girls. (Don't tell my daughter!)

Debbi said...

I think some pretty rope would go well with the color duct tape talked about above - maybe she would even think it was braclets for a few minutes. :)

Your post cracks me up...when I first read the last sentence I skipped the word not - so it said "it's all I can do to sit quietly and grab the duct tape"...I was seriously laughing so hard.

I want the answer to this problem as well as the whole chewing your food problem. Seriously, Heavenly Father should at least give us those user manuals, right?

Laura Ayers said...

Oh- I TOTALLY understand your dilemma. We're in the same boat here in SLC. EARLY bed time seems to be our only saving grace (no pun intended).

best mom ever said...

Well, is it "you've created this monster" or is it "this monster has created you." I can assure you that Hannah ended up growing up just fine and I didn't kill her (or use duct tape). The cure comes with age and time, but not without the medicine along the way. Good luck, sweet Sarah, and always remember: you have what it takes to raise all the ones you are given. And that goes for everyone who reads this and wonders "What on earth...!" I love you all.

Kristie said...

Welcome to the baffling world of girls, big and small. My mum tells me I get what I deserve - can only imagine what you were like as a child?

Dee said...

Then WHY did I get Zac? I was the good child, Kristie. Remember?
All you have to do is replace the feminine with the masculine in this post and that's my Tuesday and Thursday and any day Zac doesn't sleep in the afternoon.
I KNOW what you are saying.

Anonymous said...

like the gulf victims of the coast, at least you've already experience what the impending storm can bring and can brace yourself for it's impact. unfortunately packing up and fleeing is considered abandonment in most CPS circles so you may just the to roll with the duck-and-cover approach a while longer.

when my kids got beyond themselves like that i would sometimes put them in their rooms and give them permission to yell and scream and cry all they wanted until they were ready to come out and be a little nicer. it didn't always work out the way i hoped...like many things in the way of fine mothering it was a crap shoot. i figured though that the odds had to work in my favor at least some of the time. hope springs eternal.

for now...revel in the good times baby. revel in the good times!

love you - kiss them all for me - the tall and the small. :)

ariana said...

Oh I can't wait!! I am sure it is not a permanant condition, even though it might seem like it.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarah

Ann Dee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Oh Sarah. Welcome to the world of 'school days'. I know JUST what you're sayin'.

Baby Coffee said...

Thank you for once again, making me feel like I'm not the only one with an insane child.

I just love these pictures of Grace. They are such good snapshots of her happier side, and capture the freedom of childhood.

Melissa said...

Girl, she is not the only one! Autumn is possessed at the SAME times!!! Yay! I am glad it's not just mine! And Lillie is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristan Carter said...

I totally know what you are saying and I am sure mine will be just around the corner...AHHHH I will look to you for comfort...and I will purchase some duck tape... lol

Latisha said...

It's only just begun. You should see MY house between the hours of 3 and 7. Four in school - quadruple the "afternoon fun". All that stress has to come out somewhere since they can't let it loose at school!

Missy said...

Just have to say that the photos...oh the photos Sarah. They're perfect.

Naomi Campbell said...

gosh grace is so BIG!!!