Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Grown Up Thing To Do.

Gracie started dry heaving in the bath. As I write this, I am suppressing another giggle. See, we are constantly telling the girls not to drink, and no, not even to SIP the bath water. It's gross, it's dirty, it's disgusting. Apparently Grace has reached that ever-so-important age where she has started to imagine the germs that are housed in a body of water that she is sharing with her little sister.

Jake is constantly scaring the girls into obedience and this time was no exception. Just as he finished warning, "Grace, don't drink the water, Ruby could have peed in it!" she started the whole cough-up-your-trachea thing which turned into a high-frequency gag. And it was brutal. We now know she has quite the reflex! Only marginally funnier than the actual incident is the way that Jake recounts it. I have never seen him fake-puke so violently in my life. There was some hearty laughter in our household tonight.

I would also like to mention that my hard workin', warehouse managing, alligator hunting husband took the girls to Home Depot last night. And he bought some potting soil, a few packets of seeds and a medium-sized planter. And tonight they planted those seeds together with little tiny shovels and watered them and talked about what beautiful flowers they would become. And he pleaded with Grace to treat Ruby nicely and spent time explaining to the girls all about plants. Then he bathed them, brushed their teeth, read them stories and put them to sleep. All while I was out with Lillie.

I have everything I need right in the palm of my hand.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah...i love him too.

Kristie said...

That's a pretty funny image of Grace gagging. I KNOW my boys pee in the bath and yet they still insist on scooping it up and tasting it, disregarding my protest everytime. I just don't get it.

{Erica} said...

I have a HORRIBLE gagging reflex....seriously it's BAD! Even just reading your description about Grace dry heaving made me dry heave myself....yeah...it's that bad.

Your story also made me laugh. I'll have to see how Ella's gagging reflex is...:)

Baby Coffee said...

It's nice to know other kids drink the bath water too. I thought my daughter was the only one, even though we have pleaded with her not to do it. So now, she does it with an evil smile.

Ash said...

GO JAKE!!!
Jake and Austin should have got together... since we were together : )

Rebecca Smylie said...

I love you guys. I am in a funky mood right now, literally finished a book two minutes ago about a couple who gets divorced and it freaks me out. Then I read this and think,"Oh yeah, love is good." And then I remember the very first time I ever saw this blog and how I thought, "I want to be married to a Smylie." Thanks for getting me out of the funk.

Dee said...

That's funny. A friend of mine was cleaning out the school fridge and says to me, "what do you think about these?" as he briefly showed me two bowls of (?!). I turn away quickly as I gaged and he took the dishes to the bin. "Kevin, I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. Warn me next time." Too gross.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarahhangreatsay

Lillie said...

Hilarious. Somehow I think Sophia wouls still just drink it. Let's hope it's the age and maturity...