Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Princess is 5.



Today Grace turns 5. These past 5 years have been our little experiment. We've learned what to do, and what not to do. Grace had to walk the gauntlet of, "Jake and Sarah, The First Time Around". Poor girl. I remember the day she was born and the first time I felt angels in the room as she was brought into the world. I remember carrying her in a baby carrier and going on walks, and talking to my baby Grace who didn't talk back to me yet. I remember her blessing, her first tooth (7.5 months old), the way she always spit out the carrot baby food and how annoyed I would get!

I remember how she was then, how she is now, and all the time in between. That is the gift that she has given me as a mother, and I want to thank her for that. She has an unquenchable fire inside of her. A fire to do good, to stand up for what she wants, and of course, unbridled emotion that only comes from being a 5-year-old girl. Now through tears, here is what I've learned from Grace so far:


I have learned that the food groups have changed, and consist of mainly bread.

I have learned that friends are defined only as people your own age who are within 100 feet.

I have learned that baby lips are to be snacked on, and if it's your own child??, snacked on several times a day.

I have learned that in the mind of a little girl, the schedule for the day is very clear: Have fun, and eat whatever you want.

I have learned that taking care of your little sister means taking possession of her toys, as well.

I have learned that having a smart little girl with a perfect memory can work to my disadvantage.

I have learned to calmly accept a screaming, writhing meltdown as completely normal.

I have learned that after spending a lifetime with her, I will be the luckiest mother on earth.

17 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow Sarah, you are as busy in March as I am in May with all the Birthdays! I love your post about Grace, she is such a beautiful little girl! I had almost forgotten what she looked like at birth(except for the lips of course)so I loved seeing the baby photo of her! I can't believe she is 5! I hope she had a wonderful Birthday! Also, regarding your previous post, you look great pregnant! I wish I had an excuse to do all those things that you only do while you are pregnant, I eat for ten daily and hardly ever exercise! Talk to you soon! mel

Rhiannon said...

Happy Birthday Grace. How fun was it to be prego together at SWA and just talk baby all the time. I really can't believe that we have 5 year-olds. It just shocking.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

HAPPYBIRTHDAYGRACE
SEEYOU TONIGHTATTHE PARTYLOVE JESSIE

Anonymous said...

happy birthday gracie - you are so beautiful - on the inside and on the outside - one day you'll know that the inside stuff is way more important in the long run. you are so lucky to have so many people who love you so much - especially mum and dad.

we love you and wish we could see you more - lots of love from all the scarletts in arizona.

maren out my laundry said...

YOu have such a beautiful way with words! I love what you said about seeing her then, now and inbetween. It brought tears making me think of my little kirsten. you should be a writer!
Happy Birthday Grace!!! Miss seein your girls around :(

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Grace! I can't believe it has been 5 years. Where did our cute little babies go. I need another one! lol.

Sarah said...

sarah i almost started crying. it makes me think of how fast time is flying by with jade almost turning six! I can totally relate to all of your learned experiences...but can't agree with the last one!! Happy Birthday Grace!

Glen had a great time hanging out with the guys on Saturday...I wish i could have seen you!

Sarah said...

Ok , i meant "can't agree with you more" on the last one...holy crap i'm glad i read that before leaving! just pretend that didn't happen!

And I am sorry your back hurts...i wish i knew a remedy.

Ash said...

Happy Birthday to Gracie Girl!!! We love her!! We are so lucky that you guys live here now and we get to know your girls even better!!! It is so much fun!!

Baby Coffee said...

I've never met your girls, but I could have picked out that baby picture of Grace from far away!

WADE said...

Happy Birthday Gracie I love you!!!

Rebecca Smylie said...

Haven't read you in awhile and have loved the past three posts and pics. My, how your family all grows up every March! Also, thanks a lot because now that I know that Gracie was an easy baby ad that RUby never stopped crying, I've convinced myself that we're getting a nut next time we do this. Not to say that I"m not in love with Ruby, I'm just not in love with crying. I need to stop because this comment sounds kind of wacky. Happy Birthday to all.

Zanzi & Buzz said...

SARAH!!!! It's Rose Hyatt!! I love finding 'lost souls' via technology. And I love Gracie, my first is Grace as well, but she's just three, fun fun three! This is gorgeous, you look gorgeous, your fam is gorgeous, it's so fun to find you! wordsofweeones dot blogspot dot com!
Love, Rose

LeDoux said...

the lips!!! the lips!!! i love her.
also: i now feel that bad movies are almost better than good movies. i mean, they a lot funnier. There is a lot more confusion, anger, regret and happiness (when the movie is finally over). and isn't that what movies are about? let's try and find another one to watch this week! although i'm pretty sure it will be hard to find a character the rival robin william's character/pimp/musician/molester/
jewelry collector. xoxo

LeDoux said...

wow! there are a lot of mistakes in that comment. call me if you want it decoded. bascially, i just said blah blah, robins williams, blah blah, let's have another girls night this week.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you, cha, cha, cha. Happy birthday to you, cha, cha, cha. Happy birthday dear Gracie, cha, cha, cha. Happy birthday to you! Cha, cha cha! Give your parents a big kiss and tell them thanks for being your parents and they are so lucky to have you as a daughter.

Kelly said...

This is such a sweet post. Look at those lips even when she was a newborn. Amazing. I want to get to know Grace someday...