Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Nut Turns 3



When Ruby was born, March 4, 2005, the minute she started breathing, she cried. I heard it, Jake heard it, the nurses, the doctors, even Jake's parents in the waiting room heard her cry. I soothed her, expecting things to be easy like they were with Grace. As Jake puts it now, "She started crying when she was born and she didn't stop for a year". She did have a lot of smiles, coos, and pretty baby smells for us, but there were so many dark, dark times of endless crying and a strong Mother preference (or female, for that matter).

Now, our Dubes is lovingly referred to as the "nut" of the family. She is such a riot, and runs around with her head and chest out and her legs following desperately. Here are a few things we've learned about our Rubygirl over the years:

She likes broccoli and hates yogurt.

She has a husky voice.

She gets mad at toys, while playing alone, for not doing what she 'says'.

She has urine issues.

She makes you work really hard to get on her good side, unless forced by her mother.

She is the best snuggler I know.

She is disorderly.

She loves making messes, they create some sort of blind freedom in her mind.

She disdains little boys her age, and tends to use violence toward them.

She is very daring.

She doesn't mind getting in trouble, in fact, she usually thinks it's funny.

I can't believe I spent my entire life up to three years ago NOT knowing Ruby. I was really missing out. For her birthday, we went to Chuck E. Cheese and played, and then to Nana's house for some presents and birthday cake. I heard her aunt remark that Ruby was the nicest she's ever been during the present opening.. I guess niceness has to be given out small doses. When it counts the most.

28 comments:

The Adamson Chipmunks said...

She is so adorable! I am glad someone else has an insane child like my Tori! It is nice to know we are not alone in this world! My "nut" will turn 3 in August. Happy birthday, Ruby!

Anonymous said...

i feel honored to be one of the few accepted into her limited realm of who she puts up with! i just love her to death - her soft little body reminds me of caitlin's - soft and malleable...it would just mold to my body as we snuggled - i miss you all - tell her a special happy birthday from sharry in arizona. love you all

Celeste said...

Happy Birthday Ruby! I can't believe it's been three years. I remember seeing her when she was just a few days old just before you moved to Arizona. She is such a cute girl... I loved learning a little more about her.

Debbi said...

Happy Birthday to Ruby! That is crazy how fast these years have flown by, it seems like yesterday that Grace was a little bitty one! I hope she has a great day!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Ruby! I think we have the same second child. Penelope is in a world of her own.

Rhiannon said...

Happy Birthday Ruby. She is a beautiful little girl.

lori said...

Okay, were Leah and Ruby seperated at birth? Because you just described Leah. Rock on Ruby! Happy birthday! We miss you.

Ali Wade said...

Oh my Ruby, I can't wait till tomorrow when I can hold you in my arms!! I love you, Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

murphygood
hewasnaughtythis morningthoughwheniwokwup

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

lovejessieandmurphy

Kristan Carter said...

Turning 3 gives my anxiety about Kali turning 3...they grow to fast. Even if they cry the first year. Miss you

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

pleaseputcammentonmyblog

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ruby! She is so cure Sarah. She looks just like you! Love the pics.

Anonymous said...

canyouaddmatttop
idonthavhimonmyblog
please

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

canyouadd
mattonmylogpleasesarah

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

canyouadd mattto
myblogplease
iappreciateifyoudid
jessie

Anonymous said...

sarah you are absolutely right - i would have been a closet blogger! i haven't even told my in-law side of the family i have one...shhh...be your best friend if you keep it a secret!

Hannah said...

wow, way to go for getting that posted before Grace has hers! I loved reading that, it is so true. Rubalina Ballerina.. I miss her!

. said...

Happy Birthday Ruby! Loved to get to know her. I heard Chuck E Cheese was fun!

Brittany said...

I love those pictures of her! She is one in a million and it is fun to hear your experiences with her! That section about your husband is beautiful. I think that everyone should feel that way about their spouse. He's a lucky man! We miss you guys and I wish we could have had more chances to sing together too!

Lillie said...

How do you do it? Make me fall completely in LOVE with your girls when you talk about them. I even love them when they pee on your floor. Maybe because it's your floor and not mine.

I love your blog.

Missy said...

She sounds so completely fun and lovable. Seriously Sarah, your girls are ADORABLE. I'm dying to see number three. Have you figured out the name conquest?

andy smylie said...

nice to get to know her - even from a distance.

XO especially Ruby on her special day.

Anonymous said...

Your family is so cute... we miss you here. But I'm sure you will have an amazing adventure in Florida (isn't that what life is all about daily adventures). Enjoy your fam they grow up so fast and congrats on the pregnancy

Kristie said...

Hi, we are strangers but are connected by the Smylie name.I am the oldest daughter of Shelley Smylie. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you, Jake and your beautiful girls. I look forward to learning more about you and your family. PS. gorgeous photos.

Sarah said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUBY!!

I loved reading about her, what a doll!

maren out my laundry said...

happy birthday ruby!! Sorry we are late. What a great post Sarah, you are an amazing mother!

Anonymous said...

Ruby cakes! Hey cute little girl. Happy birthday...quite a bit late. Your top picture cracks me up! This is a tough world, but with your parents you will do fine. Be a good girl and kiss mommy and daddy lots and lots.