Tuesday, December 09, 2008

On Being A Mother.

-Cookie dough tastes better when you have to hide it from the kids.
-The baby wants you all of the time, every time.
-You feel powerful, but only at 11pm when they are all, finally, asleep.
-You become a master of distraction. Causing distraction and being distracted. You stop responding to just, "Mom?" and need something more like, "MOOOOMMM!!!!".
-The smells, both deadly and heavenly, are so nostalgic they could never be forgotten.
-You train the children that "just a minute" means "ask me later or don't ask me at all, because I'm busy".
-Society really doesn't expect much from you. You can show up in sweats and it's ok because you're a "Mom". On the other hand, keeping a household together is the most demanding by society's standards. Sigh. Big sigh.
-You really don't even know what size you wear, it changes so often.
-Decorating your house is defined as, "hangwhateveryoucan in the 3 minutes that Lillie will sit on the floor unentertained".
-You're only in a few pictures each year but that's ok because remember? You wear sweats a lot.

18 comments:

{Erica} said...

*Big Smile*

best job description ever!

Anonymous said...

...and i love every minute of it. mostly.

when caitlin and connor were just little connor asked me repeatedly one day if we could see/do/get something, i don't remember what. exasparated i said, OK! we'll see! - he got all excited in anticipation only to have caitlin look him dead in the eye and say...connor. don't ya know we'll see means no!"

caitlin in still the realist...
connor? ever hopeful.

love ya...

Anonymous said...

exasp.E.rated...not A.rated.

tho i would give your blog a triple A rating...

Bethany Medley said...

oh my gosh i love eating cookie dough in secret. it TOTALLY tastes better when in secret!!

Debbi said...

Oh Sarah, how you are able to write things that all of us feel. I love it, all of it. Your blog always makes me smile, thanks.

Lillie said...

It's funny-- I remember when I first discovered/fell in love with your blog, I scrolled down and down and down to find a picture that had you in it... to put a face to this brilliant, witty, musically hip ;)girl I read. It took a while, but I found one.

Now that a: I have one more kid and b: I enjoy being behind the new camera so much more... I get it. what a great post. per usual.

Ash said...

Sarah! You are beautiful!!!

Kim Sandberg Turner said...

What beautiful, beautiful photos to go with a beautiful mother and child.

Clarke and Kamie said...

aw, isn't being a mom the best?
And as soon as the house is quiet, after they have fallen asleep, don't you go into "power mode"--get as much done as possible before you pass out from exhaustion!

Kristie said...

Love it. I live in sweats. I have to make a conscious effort some days to actually "put on clothing".

Sharon, "we'll see" and "maybe later" translated in our house also mean "no chance"

jakenapril said...

i couldn't have said it any better myself. and thanks for one of the "few" pictures of you. you're just as i remember from our provo days. beautiful! i'll have to include those in a way back when-sday...

Lindsey said...

hilarious. seriously good.

Missy said...

1. You are beautiful.
2. Lillie looks like my Chloe all swaddled up.
3. You are so. right. on. and somehow I felt like we were sitting across the table at a coffee shop (or in your new house in our sweats) and had to stop myself from reaching out touch your arm and say, "Yes! Now someone gets it!"

vicky said...

AMEN sister!!!

Michelle said...

The pictures of you two are beautiful. I especially like the top one. She is such an adorable baby.

Laurel said...

a.) you SO make me want to be a mom
b.) are you sure she's real? She looks to completely perfect to be real.

I love love love your blog. thanks for sharing and letting people you don't know participate.

Lori said...

You're right, Sarah. I need your photography help! When are you coming?

ariana said...

Oh I can't wait!! I just wish I could record it all as well as you do.