Wednesday, September 03, 2008

St. Augustine, Florida

Upon walking in the hotel room: "LOOK AT THE BATHTUB! AND THE PILLOWS! AND THE CARPET! AND THE TEEVEE CONTROLLER! AND THERE'S PENS, MOMMY, THERE'S PEEEENS!"
Me and Lillie had some one-on-one time while the kids and Dad swam in the pool for the second or third time. Apparently a hotel! pool! is a lot more exciting than other pools. Or the beach, for that matter.

St. Augustine is the oldest city in the nation. Ya. I loved it. Took so many photos it was ridiculous. There is a [haunted] lighthouse there that's fourteen stories high, accessed by a circular staircase that kicks my post-partum butt. Seriously, my legs are still sore. So embarrassing.

I made Grace rest on the middle landing for a photo (a.k.a. let Mommy rest). Dad and the two youngest waited at the bottom for us...


Looking north toward the Georgia coast. Below, looking east into the Atlantic.

And this house... the height of southern livin'. I kinda wanted to hang MY underwear on that porch. Just something about it drew me in.
And here are the girls, sitting in the back seat drunk on chocolate milk. They've told me every day since our return home on Monday that they "Really miss the hotel". I tell them that Mommy misses it more than they'll ever know. At the hotel there are no sheets to wash, no dishes in the sink, and no dumped out toy baskets, not to mention Marriott's delicious breakfast buffet. But my favorite? Watching the girls take a rip-roaring bubble bath and not stressing about dirty towels and a huge mess. I just watched calmly on, breathing deeply.

20 comments:

kevin said...

i believe federal law states that all persons under the influence of chocolate milk and under the age of 11 be prohibited from operating heavy machinery or motor vehicles.

Melanie said...

How fun! St. Augustine is on my list of things I have been wanting to do since we moved here, now 4 yrs ago! I guess I just need to plan it and do it! I like the pics from the stairs in the lighthouse, so cool!

Kristie said...

What a fun family holiday. There's something about Hotel sheets and towels that make you feel like you are living the high life.

Dee said...

Yeah...hotels....some people don't get it. I do.

Latisha said...

Sounds wonderful!! We took a trip to St. Augustine a couple of years ago, and I think that my kids remember the hotel most, too! There's something magical about staying in one. I still love it, too. It's SO nice to just get away - great memories. Good for you!

Jamie said...

Brad and I did that this Summer with my parents. Yea, walking up that lighthouse was CRAZY! My legs were shaking and I was kind of dizzy. I guess I am afraid of heights. My arms were even sore from gripping so hard on the railing. Glad you all had a good time!

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarah

Missy said...

I totally remember being a kid and we were moving and staying in a hotel and loving it like your girls. It's just so much fun. Tell me you took some photos of them in the big bubble bath? I love it...what a fun little vacation (how far is it from you?)

lindseyj said...

wish you were here. or we were there. :)

Jodi said...

I love St. Augustine. We went one year on our "mommy/daddy getaway" and it was fabulous. It was right before the holidays so downtown was all lit up with white lights...so breath taking.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

tescontacts
twastwihrs

Celeste said...

What a great trip and get away... I hear ya on the hotel! So relaxing not to have to worry about all the little things hat get your house dirty in like two seconds!

Megan said...

Great pictures! My kids are the same way about hotels. I swear, we could go to a hotel in Lehi and they'd be in heaven!

Rachel Brown said...

My kids think the hotel IS the vacation. It works for me! Less planning, more sleep.

Anonymous said...

you gotta loooove the family vaycays!!! did you sing? we always sang a few faithful travelling songs....i bet you sang!

and who doesn't love hotels? i love hotels. i totally get hotels!

of course, our family trips consist of very little singing these days...and tents. we totally get tents!

best mom ever said...

I WANT that photo of all of you. It is a classic. I love the pictures of the lighthouse. I could make it all the way up the stairs (with a few rests myself) but NEVER could you get me out the door at the top. Very nauseous and panicky with extreme heights. You know I love lighthouses. Thanks for the tour, 3,000 miles away.

Brittany said...

Wow what a beautiful place! I love those pictures. I want to live somewhere interesting!

maren out my laundry said...

I'm still so jealous you live in florida! Wish we could come back ASAP!! Looks like lots of family fun, I especially love that first pic, CLASSIC!

Julianne said...

Sarah, You have such a beautiful family. My sister sent me your blog address and it is so fun to see you and your cute kids. I have a blog too, if you are interested you can email me it is my first and last name at gmail and I will send you a link.

Julianne said...

Oh in case you don't know my last name is Price (I married Richard).