Monday, September 29, 2008

A Grand Opportunity.





We have the grand opportunity to live by our family again. Most of our marriage we have not, so we relish in this time with them. This is a small glimpse into what our family gathering looks like. The meal is usually roast, mashed potatoes (Donna's are absolutely the best in the world), vegetables, and salad with european style dressing (oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper). Laughter and conversation echo off the high ceiling and wood floor and there are literally babies everywhere, babbling and showing off their newly acquired walking skills. After we eat, the men watch the Discovery Channel and the women find a quiet place to talk about pregnancy, childbirth and other fascinating subjects.

On Saturday evening we all had the opportunity to attend the Relief Society Broadcast together as sisters in the church. I took a very important lesson home with me, a quote from Elder Uchtdorf's talk, "Happiness is your Heritage". This is a goal I can hold myself to this coming year. Just be happy with my daughters. I should give them the legacy of being happy and content with life. It was put simply and clearly at the conference that we need to be soft on ourselves and allow for more apprecation of our own talents instead of comparing ourselves to others. Can I get an A-MEN?

13 comments:

Brittany said...

Thanks for your message. I love this post. I have the relief society meeting recorded on my DVR. I am excited to watch it. I am also glad that conference is this weekend. We need some uplifting stuff.

Jamie said...

A-MEN, Sista! I loved his talk, it was just what i needed to hear.

pregnancy, childbirth, nursing.... my favorite topics of conversation!

Rebecca Smylie said...

This literally makes my heart hurt. I watched the broadcast at home while Levi worked. How I would have loved to watch it with you all--and I wanted to hear what you had to say at dinner. And I wanted Adelaide to get knocked over by Simone. And then I wanted her to push over Lillie.

Josh, Kim & Kids said...

Our Sunday dinners look and feel very similar to your's. We are extrememly blessed.

ariana said...

Don't you just love lazy family Sundays? Can't wait to come visit. I have a bit of heresy to report. Derick and I and handful of the priesthood brethren spent the day (8am to 4pm) moving the other family into my mother's house. Then Derick and I picked apples at his parents until 5:30. I was so exhausted that the thought of driving 3 hours roundtrip to the stake center to view a 2 hour broadcast would have brought me to tears. I opted for an hour and a half nap instead, because there is a direct relationship between the amount of sleep I get and the amount of constructive communication that happens in my marriage. I guess I can catch up in the Ensign next month. Whew!

Missy said...

This looks so inviting, I am wishing that we were part of your family too...

I missed the broadcast and realize now that I could have found it on my DVR?? I'm so bummed. I'll have to read it. Loved hearing your insight though - it's always the best.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarah

LeDoux said...

oh, i can't wait for lillie to come out of her baby coma and show me her personality. i can just imagine her coming over to my house for sleep overs and her and monie eating lunch together at school. so you better not leave!

Rachel Brown said...

Don't you just look forward to being grandparents. It just gets better and better... all those babies around! How wonderful to live near family. Maybe we'll have to move to Floraida too. Do the leaves change color there?

Ash said...

Love the pictures... love our family dinners.... loved the Broadcast... love our family... love you!!!

Kelly said...

Whoo, I missed that one. Sounds like I shouldn't have! We were at Disney. I'll have to watch it on my computer. Thanks for sharing your fam with us! I remember the first time we went to Jake's house in SLC. It was a cool house. I knew cool people must have lived in it!

Anonymous said...

i want to be there with you - you have no idea how much i miss you all. yeah - 'hurts' is a good description rebecca.

love to all.

Lillie said...

I missed the broadcast and your blog is the first I've heard of what was really said. Thank you for sharing. Just what you wrote made an impact--- I'd better read his talk. Amazing how they KNOW what we need eh? ;)