Friday, August 15, 2008

Please Don't Die and Leave Me To Raise The Kids.

For one week out of each year, the state of Florida gives out several thousand licenses to hunt and kill ALLIGATORS. Apparently the alligators are becoming too numerous from being on the Endangered list. My husband Jacob has taken this yolk upon him. He's been talking about this for months upon months. He bought a Jonboat, a motor and lights. He got the proper licenses. The license place assigned him and his brothers to a lake way out past Disneyworld near the coast. They have to go at night. They don't shoot them, no, no, no. They have to stick them with harpoons. Does this remind anyone of Lord of the Flies? You know, the book about the crazy boys on the island that turn into savages? Hopefully the whole "boy vs. nature" thing will be quenched after this expedition.
I think I should be worried... but I'm a little numb. If you want to risk your life, risk it, but don't say I didn't warn you that this sounded like a very dumb idea.

16 comments:

kevin said...

instead of worrying about him dying, you should be worrying about when your alligator skin purse is going to be made.

Kristie said...

What are they meant to do with an alligator that has been harpooned? I'm with you, sounds like only trouble can come of this adventure. Make sure you count all his fingers and toes on his return.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hopefullytheywontdie
though

Anonymous said...

we were laughing with steve about this escapade when he was here last weekend. we all came to the concensus that it was a good thing there will be no alcohol involved; just consider it one of the Lords tender mercies...and part of His quirky sense of humor!!!

Lillie said...

Two posts in one visit... I love days like this. It's so much creepier than I expect it to be when we go SEE the alligators when I visit my sis. Is this for real? It seems so archaic. Like "you can have a liscense to kill them but part of the deal is they get a better chance at killing you..." more politically correct that way I'm sure. What a brave hubbie you have.

LuCDay said...

Ha ha ha! Only in the South. I bet Jake is giddy with excitement. You'll have to let us all know how it goes! :o)

Baby Coffee said...

You haven't been living in the south long enough for Jake to be exhibiting this type of behavior.

Kasey said...

You are kidding me? I never realized this was something people did. I'm sure it'll be so fun and hopefully he'll bring the camera along! Oh, and return home in one piece.

Anonymous said...

dude, I'm with ya. man versus dinosaur... Ric

best mom ever said...

Sounds like another one of Jake's mislife crises. Your father has taken up surfing (alone). You know, where the sharks live and do what alligators do, eat people for dinner. At least Jake is OUT of the water and has a weapon against the enemy--and companions. I feel your pain, Sarah.

Dinah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dinah said...

Sarah does he have good life insurance? ..I know I am no help and am only kidding...we are all stunned into stupid comments cause we just can't believe this is really their plan! But then alligator skin boots are really high fashion... ooops there I go again....love ya .....dinah

Carrie and Jeff said...

That would freak me out a little. I wonder if Jeff would want to do something like that. He's from Florida, so he might not think it's a big deal. I'm sure they'll be super safe and not do anything dumb like guys usually do :)

Jodi said...

Boys will be boys...no matter how old they get!

dude said...

Git em!!! Freaking Crocodile Dundee!!!! Eye Yi Yie!!!!

ariana said...

I remember, sometime ago, seeing a video where Jake paid twenty dollars and signed a waiver to ride a bull. I don't think the savage is ever appeased... I think it just lies dormant for some years and resurfaces when urgency finally overtakes sanity.
lots of love