Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Why Grase is Grounded From Scissors For a Week.

Do they plan these things ahead of time, after I put them to bed? Do they lay there in the dark plotting and scheming how they can use household items in ways that I could never wildly dream or predict? And why do they always look so surprised at my reaction when I find them standing in the middle of an evidence-spattered living room?

I slept in a little past 8:30. Girls had been downstairs for an hour by themselves. What I saw was a little like a murder scene. There were rice krispies littering the floor. All over. From the kitchen table to the living room wall. There were empty mini cereal boxes. I counted four. I saw Ruby's pajama pants and a discarded diaper. A toasted waffle broken into pieces lying on the carpet. There was washable red marker on the ottoman and a few letters written on the carpet near the back door. My entire magnetic grocery list pad of paper (that used to be on the fridge) had the letter "y" written on each page and the pages were spread throughout the room. There were two cups of milk lying on their side, lifeless. Ruby was mostly naked and running places. Grace looked like she had done something very wrong.

I stormed over to the couch. And then I saw them. In the middle of a pile of markers, to the left of some paper, next to a pair of scissors, were three substantially thick locks of brown hair. Ruby's hair.

"What HAPPENED???????!!!"

"I layded down on the couch, and den Grace CUDDED my HAIR!!" (with an inflection toward the end that implied the whole experience was very exhilarating for the both of them).

23 comments:

Missy said...

Cudded. I loved that. But, show us a picture Sarah. I'm dying to see little Ruby's hair...

Anonymous said...

oooh, sarah...

Jodi said...

So where's the picture? I can't wait to see. Someday I'll have to show you the picture of my niece after she cut her own hair. She had a mullet cut for almost a year and my sister could have bought stock in hats.

Baby Coffee said...

It's nice to know other people lives are as hectic as mine!

vicky said...

That's exactly what I wondered...where's the picture?

Sarie said...

Well, truth be told, Grace cut Ruby's hair in the back a few inches, so you can't tell when she wears it back or if it hasn't been combed. Thank goodness the bangs were left alone!

Cj said...

LOL.....or not, I so remember those days :) No wonder you had a headache tonight, that's a great way to start the day huh? My mom chants to me..kids are blessings, kids are blessings..It's hard to chant that when you're in "THAT" moment. I always waited for my girls to do that wanting to be like mommy, I guess I'm lucky it never happened. If you need me to even up her hair just bring her over ok. (poor Ruby, and getting another bump again tonight, it's wasn't her day)

Celeste said...

Oh my gosh! I want to see pictures!!

Carrie and Jeff said...

I would've freaked out. I think they're pretty lucky to even be alive. You tell them that!

Kristie said...

That is so funny. I laugh only because it's not my kids. If it had happened to me I would be blogging about the murder scene after I had discovered the house and I would be asking for suggestions on how to hide a few bodies.xx

Jennifer said...

Oh man! What a morning!! I can just picture the mess. I'm glad that she didn't cut a lot and that it isn't noticeable.

I hope your morning was better today

Anonymous said...

Oh man... that is a good one! I think that ALL little girls go through this phase. I did as well, although I cut the neighbors hair. Not good. Her mom was so mad at my mom for that for YEARS!!! Good story though :)

Megan said...

OH! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Not the hair! Please not the hair!

Anonymous said...

hey, meant to tell you i really like your self portrait over there in the corner of your page. very pretty, very nice.

Rebecca Smylie said...

I love all of it. Grase. Kills me. You're brilliat. My initial reactino is to say that you deserve it, and mean that in a good way. Ha!

lori said...

please say you took a picture

Dinah said...

Hey, no blood means it is a good day!
I can see their serious little faces telling you about this adventure. Priceless! By the way you did not happen to find my camera did you? I think I left it somewhere, Cheesecake Factory? Don't know, but I arrived home without it. Not surprising the way I was leaving everything else around. I absolutely loved meeting you and Jake and your lovely girls. I will be down to hold Lillie, Ruby and Gracie in a few weeks and get some smooches too. Love ya....di

Dena said...

Oh. My. Gosh, Sarah.

ariana said...

Maybe it runs in the family. Ask Rachel why Lizzy is also banned from using scissors unsupervised. Rachel can tell it better, but I think Bella lost half a head of curly locks and some eyelashes too. The experience was not nearly so exhilarating for Bella, who I think was actually the victim of a little sibling jealousy. Mom's got it right though. Be thankful you did not walk into your bedroom where large shards of plate glass mirror are sunk into the floor and your four-year-old calmly expresses "Sorry mommmy" as she holds out her small hand. Then you stay perfectly calm as you notice the severed end of her left index finger hanging from its bleeding knuckle. Sorry to be so graphic and again "Sorry mommy."

Dinah said...

It is true, Ariana always had blood. She is such an adventurer and she always ends up with some part of her needing to be stitched back. She and Ben broke the plate mirror on the door and she really did have to have her fingertip sewn back on. Can't have a short ring finger when you get married now can you?

maren out my laundry said...

oh no!!! how bad was it? Its invetible in most girls life, I've seen it time after time! you are an amazing mom!!!

Hannah said...

Saraie... hello where is the picture? Does it even compare to Bethany's self - inflicted hair cuts as a small child?

Anonymous said...

Where oh where are the pics?