Monday, July 07, 2008

A Family of Girls




There's a bottle of sanitizer by the couch. A pack of diapers by the crib. A pile of milky blankets by my bed. Baby shampoo by the sink. All of these welcome signs that we're adjusting to a baby again after 3 years. It's like a blanket has been gently placed over our family. Lillie is that type of baby. So calm, so peaceful. She has made us so incredibly happy. Of course I wanted a third baby. Of course. But you really never know what you're going to get. Lillie is like a gift, a blessing, a truce. I must have done something really right in my life to deserve her. I give Jake a look from across the room and tell him thank you for giving me another baby and he says thank you to me, too. We're all so in love with her.
Grace and Ruby love her (it took Ruby a few days to want to hold her. The photos above were of her first time). Girls just have a mothering instinct. I get a lot of "She needed her pacifier, so I put it in her mouth", and "I think she needs to wear this hat, ya, she needs to wear it, I'll put it on her, I CAN PUT IT ON HER, MOM". They're just so helpful all the time!
I can't wait to see what this new life will bring to our family, our lives. I don't want this time to slip away as fast as it did with the other girls, but I know it will. Until then, I will sniff her breath, neck, cheek, hand, until I memorize their smell. Her lips are like pillows and she's all mine. My baby Lillie.

20 comments:

Dena said...

Oh my goodness, Sarah. She is beautiful (and I'm thinking that's kinda how my last comment started). Hmmmm. There's got to be a reason for that!! :o) Grace is so gorgeous in her solo pic with Lillie. Ruby is so precious giving her a smooch. You are so incredibly blessed. I love all the "help" you have with her! How sweet!!

vicky said...

I can feel the love you all have for this special little one, from your post. So happy for you!

Debbi said...

What great sisters! I love the post, I am so happy that she is a peaceful happy baby! What a great blessing for your 3rd!

ariana said...

Most people hope to witness one miracle in their lives, but three beautiful ones is more joy than any one mother can hold. Good thing she has sisters and daddy, and grandpas and grandmas and uncles and aunts and cousins. Congratulations. They are all beautiful. Lots of Love

Laken said...

Oh how sweet! Your writing is indescribable. (sp?) I wish you were an author.. I would never want to put your book down. Lillie is so precious. So adorable. And the girls are just eating her up. That is so sweet!

Anonymous said...

i am grateful every day that love is not divided amongst the number of people we love...it is simply and miraculously added upon.

love her for us. love them all for us. we miss you guys!

Rachel Brown said...

oooh. so sweet.

{Erica} said...

beautiful post, beautiful pictures....beautiful life!

Anonymous said...

How cute!! I love the one of Ruby kissing Lillie :)

Lillie said...

What fabulous photos Sarah. I remember trying so desperately to get a cute one of Sophia when Mila was born and just couldn't. You already must have so many framers. She's so CUTE!

Kristie said...

You probably always knew that Ruby and Grace would kick into mother mode as soon as Lillie joined your family. Lillie so lucky to have such helpful big sisters. xx

Jamie said...

I love these pictures of your sweet girls. i'm happy for that lillie is such a dream!! it is SO sad how fast they get big. it sounds like your savoring each moment.

Missy said...

A family of girls: I love it. They're adorable with her. And someday they'll look back at these pictures and have tangible memories of playing "house" with their little sister. Love that newborn smell...I can't wait for it.

Sarah said...

ok, I officially want another after reading your poetic thoughts....what a beautiful family sarie!!

Ash said...

So sweet! I love her and miss her!!!

LuCDay said...

You almost make me want a third myself...almost. But mostly I just want to hold Lillie now. Wish you didn't live a million miles away. Keep the pictures coming!

Rebecca Smylie said...

a blanket. good description--I think I can feel that. Love your little family. I bet Jake loves saying, 'the girls"

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

cutephotos

TamiRichins said...

Congrat Sarah. I can't believe how many messages you had on your last post!! You are one popular girl. Love the pictures. Your girls are so adorable!!! They are going to love reading these posts when they get older, you are such a fantastic writer.

Celeste said...

How sweet. You are making me want another little baby so badly right now. i love how you all love her so much. You are such a cute family.