Tuesday, June 03, 2008

We Lost Something




Dear Grace,

Your teeth have always been important to me, specifically, from the day your second top tooth came in and I noticed a huge gap in the middle. A gap that would not fill in as your others came in over the years. A gap that sets you apart. On Monday, June 2nd, you lost your first tooth. This huge milestone did not come and go without a lake of tears and lots of very repeatable phrases. Most of which I will share here.

We were swimming, you were biting on a pool floatie, one of those noodle-type ones. Somehow, it was jerked a little to the left and your tooth was loosened until it was only hanging by a thread. You screamed, I got into my super-calm-ignore-the-blood mode. I told you it was ok, but you could very well assess on your own that IT. WAS. NOT. OK. Into the bathroom we both ran [I hobbled] and onto my lap you plunged as we sat down. More crying, more trauma.

"I want it OUT!!!"
"Maybe we can leave it in a little longer and it will come out on it's own."
"No, I want it OUT NOW!" (I try to pull it a little and it didn't come out).
"Um, maybe we can leave...", interrupted by,
"(combination of blubbering and despair!!!)"
At this time, Gracie girl, you reached inside your mouth and yanked out your first tooth. Just like that. Shortly after, you dropped it into a crack in the pool deck while you showed your aunts, cousins and nana the tiny little white piece of bone that was your first tooth. Ali fished it out with tweezers and you were so relieved!!

Things you have said since: "I hope a tooth grows back RIGHT AWAY", "I don't know how I'm supposed to always chew on that one side of my mouth!", "We better open a window for the tooth fairy to come through", "When the tooth fairy gives me dollars, I will give you some to buy some new baby things, ok Mommy?", "I can't believe the tooth fairy only gave you a quarter when you were little, that's NOT very much!" and, "I think the tooth fairy gave me dollars, but DADDY took my tooth. That's what I think..."

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

and so begins the many rites of passage that will befall, overwhelm, and excite all involved.

if you really want to see panic i could send her a picture of the aftermath of maddies most recent baby tooth extraction! it's wonderful how life gives you better perspective as it goes along!!

love you all, miss you guys.
sharry

LuCDay said...

I love that she yanked it out on her own without a second thought. I bet that was a little bit of a surprise. Congrats Gracie!

Sarah said...

I love how they think, Jade told me she didn't want to believe in the tooth fairy because when she flew around her head it gave her a headache...

Nice job Grace, I am glad this turned out to be a success!

Missy said...

I love this whole thing, but most of all I love that last photo. The sleeping one where she is probably dreaming of the tooth fairy coming and the first thing she'll do in the morning is feel for the gap in her tooth and see what the tooth fairy brought her. Can you stand it that you have a daughter old enough to be losing teeth?

Celeste said...

How cute! And what a fun story about loosing your first tooth. What a tuff girl pulling it out herself! ...that's so sweet that she offered to give you some of the money to get baby things.

vicky said...

I hope that the tooth fairy job will come easily to you. We ALWAYS forget until the next morning when our kids come in with a SAD SAD face.
Your kids are so cute!!

Ash said...

She is getting so old. I can't believe how time is flying by. I love that I was there to share that memory with you guys!

LeDoux said...

she seemed pretty brave about the whole thing. that's the thing with your kids, Sarie. Their bouts of high-pitched crying is the same whether it's over a tiny toy or over serious bodily injury.
i love her! xoxo

Garbett Family said...

I love reading your posts... As a first grade teacher all I can say is I have wittnessed the same trama many times (in the classroom!) and every tooth is important! Just wait until she has four or five missing! :)

Laken said...

How sweet! Yet another milestone completed, with many more to come!!!

Kim said...

Wow! I don't think I would have handled that one very well.



I am going to be in Orlando in a week or so and I wanted to see if maybe we could meet for lunch or something. email me... mimiyoung123@hotmail.com.

Jodi said...

She will be the envy of all her friends in Kindergarten. Taylor lost her first tooth in Pre-K and all of her friends (Kaylee & Miles included) were amazed! You go Grace! I'm too much of a whimp to pull out my own tooth.

Dee said...

F.E.A.R.L.E.S.S!
P.R.I.C.E.L.E.S.S!

Carrie and Jeff said...

What a brave girl to pull it out by herself. I think a quarter is a lot to get for a tooth.

Debbi said...

Sarah! I love reading and looking at your pictures - I have been really bad at commenting but I hope you are doing ok - only 3 weeks left! You could have that baby any day! I can't remember if you were early with Grace or Ruby? I hope you are feeling ok, and really - I LOVE it when my google reader shows your pictures, your girls are soo cute! Good luck with the next few weeks!

(Do you remember Stephanie Baker from the courts? She is due in the next 2 weeks too! I can't remember if you guys knew each other)

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hisarah

Amy said...

The first tooth! Oh my. Time flies doesn't it? Again, your girls are so adorable. You should write a books about them. Kind of like Ramona Quimby or Junie B. Jones. You are a great writer!

Anonymous said...

sheseemedbraveaboutwholething
seeyoutooonihgtatparty

Anonymous said...

itsjessie

Hannah said...

That is so funny, Grace is such a little smartie, I am so impressed she knows Daddy took the tooth

Rhiannon said...

That is too funny. Good job Grace on taking care of it yourself, amazing.