Monday, March 03, 2008

Turning 30



Jake turned 30 yesterday. He had mixed feelings about this birthday, and true to his personality felt that being 30 should consist of a lot more. He felt that he should have attained more of his life goals by now, and the prospect of being 30 has been weighing on him. I think he has it all, that man. I think he will always be happy but never be satisfied, and I love a man with goals. I have so much to say about him, but this is not the place. Instead, here is a list of things I have learned from Jake since marrying him on that beautiful day in August, 2001:


I have learned that pregnancy isn't an excuse to not get out and enjoy the day (get off my behind).

I have learned that when you don't feel like kissing your daughters, it is the time when it's most important to.

I have learned that the depth in which a man loves his daughters is unexplainable, frightening, surprising, overwhelming, and incredibly beautiful.

I have learned that I am sexy even when I am chubby, or skinny, or freckly, or too loud, or too white, or have really ugly feet.

I have learned that Saturday is not a day to relax, it's a day to get out and DO THINGS as a family.

I have learned how to disagree with someone effectively.

I have learned that the things that annoy you about a person can turn out to be the best things about them.

I have learned that loving a man as my husband, taking care of him, arguing with him, and looking past our differences, can be the most rewarding accomplishment I will ever have in this life.

I have learned that sometimes, you just gotta throw your clothes on the floor and put them away tomorrow.

Happy Birthday, baby.

14 comments:

Josh, Kim & Kids said...

Remind Jake that he is not alone in turning thirty this week. I just posted Josh's 30th Birthday message and then clicked to check your blog. How ironic I thought! Then I reminded myself that I already knew of their close birthdays. I believe we are thinking and feeling the same things right now.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday jakie!!! wow, so if you're 30, that makes me, what, 35-ish!? love ya!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, That was beautiful, Man...Happy birthday to Jake. Have big party and pretend I'm there. It could be worse, Markus turned 40 last November.

lori said...

happy Birthday jake! I will be 30 this month too and i am not quite sure how I feel about it. Sarah, Matts birthday is next month..can i just copy and paste this blog entry on to my blog? LOVE YOU GUYS!!! COME BACK!

lori said...

happy Birthday jake! I will be 30 this month too and i am not quite sure how I feel about it. Sarah, Matts birthday is next month..can i just copy and paste this blog entry on to my blog? LOVE YOU GUYS!!! COME BACK!

Debbi said...

Happy Birthday to Jake - tell him Wade will send him some tennis balls for his walker he will be needing. Wade says the body falls apart after 30. I hope not!

Kelly said...

Happy b-day Jake. I'm definitely not looking forward to turning 30. Jody turns it this year as well. Sometimes I think men don't realize that all of there accomplishments don't have to be monetary. At least that's what Jody tends to think of when that words comes up. I have to remind him of all that we have done together in the last six years and how much we have learned. Doesn't three kids count for something?

andy smylie said...

Happy birthday Jake! 30 ain't so bad.

Lovely sentiments Sarah. So positive, I think that is what I like best about your writing.

XO

Anonymous said...

sarahthanksfixingmymistakeidid
wastrying tomakea newpostbutcouldntoutofit
somethinghappened tothe newpost
notsurewhatatleastitsfixednow
happybitthdayruby
seeyouguystonight
atthe birthdayparty
rhanksagain
lovejessie

Sarah said...

Just had to tell you that I LOVE YOUR PICTURES!! Glen loves them too! You are amazing. Oh and happy birthday to Jake!

Celeste said...

Happy B-day Jake...30 can't be that bad!! Love all the pictures of your girls..you are getting better and better and your photography!! Beautiful.

Carrie and Jeff said...

You are so sweet! I need to remember to do something like this for my hubby! I hope you guys had a great b-day celebration!

Unknown said...

Dude jake is such a stud. Those pictures are tight. It makes me laugh to think how hard he must have been trying to keep a straight face. Dude, can't wait to hit the resort this weekend.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

idonthavehaleysjabrensblog
canyouadd thattomyblog?
iappreciateitthanksagainsarah
idontauntiedianastoocanyouaddthat too?
thanksagain

jessie