Monday, October 08, 2007

What I've been up to...

The "daddy always likes it when I smile like this" smile.
Just two suburban chicks in a big mountain valley.

Ya wanna mess with this? I don't think so.

We went on the hunt today for some photo locations, and we found one or two. The field was a combination of side stepping gopher holes and carrying a camera bag, with the camera around my neck, holding Grace's hand, and carrying Ruby on my hip because there was "pokie grass" poking near or around her shoe/foot general area. We ran across a busy street, scaled up a small muddy hill, and were farm folk before we knew it. When I finally set Ruby down, her waryness had not worn off, which worked well for me because she didn't move a muscle.
Our second find was just a patch of red leaves behind the shiny sun. This kiss was all I could hope for after the long dead-grass-field-with-pokie-grass hike.

My lovely parents are in town this week and we are loving it!!! I wish I could be close to them all the time. They have to go back home to California on Saturday. There is a photo of them plus some other sessions I have done this week here: www.smyliephoto.blogspot.com .

My day feels like a hurricane sometimes, with two daughters it feels like, "Bits of emotion, flying through the air. Anger, frustration, denial... " (-Chicken Little). Sometimes there is so much crying in my ear I feel as though my brain will either melt or turn to stone and I better leave the room before it explodes. My girls are wound up tight and so carefree in the same moment.

But when they're asleep. When they're asleep. That's when the magic happens and I feel the way I felt when they were newborn babies and I was staring at them wrapped up in a blanket by the low light of a 2a.m. lamp. They were so beautiful they would float, while the world lay so silent. It amazes me how beings so magical can suck every breath from me sometimes, so that I can barely push through to the part of life that needs me next, yet can absolutely give me the breath that keeps my suspended existence intact. These girls are the greatest blessing I have ever been given.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

"When they're asleep..." So not yet having kids I will relate as best I can. It's the way I feel about New York when I look at her from the 53rd floor of my office building. The view looks out over Central Park and you can see everything. I love New York so much in those moments--it's different than when I'm being pushed and yelled at and cabs are running me down. Or when I used to teach. I loved those kids most when each one was sitting at his/her desk silently reading. The rest of the time, it was debatable...

{Erica} said...

Yeah that location is wonderful! I bet the lighting was awesome. My favorite picture is the second one and the one where they're holding hands. Great Job! Your girls are adorable.

Lillie said...

How would you feel if I confessed to tears. It might be a combination of the music, the fact that I finished the last bit of mud pie icecream (what about tonight?!), and the sound of Sophia crying under her door since I just put a lock on it- and it's KILLING me. But I'm pretty sure it was mostly your words. So so SO true Sarah. You make me so excited to have two girls. Terrified. But SO excited.

Missy said...

I love your blog Sarah. Such a good combination of photos + words.

Debbi said...

When they're asleep - sometimes I just sit in their room at night. No matter what kind of day I've had I can always rely on this time to bring me back down to earth and remember what really matters. Thanks Sarah. Your posts are the best!

Anonymous said...

Sarie! i love the idea of a photo blog. they look fantastic. also: be ready for some major photo action when you get here in Dec. Everyone here is hoping that Ash's and my baby come at the same time so that we can do tons of newborn pictures with them together. cuz if there is anything better than one newborn, it's two. miss you guys. thanks for the birthday wishes!!!

TamiRichins said...

Love the pictures. You are so talented. Love your blog.

Rhiannon said...

Hey Sarah, your pictures are so great of your girls. It really captures their personalities. How do you do that? I need you to teach me how to take a great picture of my kids.