Monday, October 15, 2007

Family, etc.

My brother Jared, sister Bethany, and brother Isaac with Dad.
Below: My dad and Ruby.
Among other things, Gracie prayed this week that "Jesus could please stop dying" and that we could "help Jesus not die anymore" and several other deep and pressing issues. We often play a game called "thumbs up" that Jake made up. We say something and then the girls have to give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Jake: Helping Mommie with the dishes.

Grace: thumbs up!

Ruby: tumbs up!

Me: Reading your scriptures.

Grace: thumbs up!

Ruby: tumbs up!

Grace: Jesus dying.

Jake:

Me:

Jake:

Me:

Ruby: tumbs up!

My parents left on Saturday. They stayed in Utah a week and now they're back in Northern CA. I was ok until we put on a primary CD today and I heard the song "Love is Spoken Here", more specifically the line, "I see my mother kneeling, with our family each day, I hear the words she whispers as she bows her head to pray". Then I lost some tears over a bowl of oatmeal cookie dough. I miss my dad's jokes already, I miss his great attitude, his willingness to, at age 50, ride a longboard down Provo canyon with his daughter and sons. As for my mom, I miss the very essence of her. The rhythmic way she OWNS a kitchen. The look of concentration as she tries to fit four people's belongings in the back of a 1995 Volvo sedan. The blue knitted head cover/scarf/hat thing she's had for ages.

My grandparents visited for an evening. My Grandpa calls me "kiddo" and likes to talk about electronics and rocks. And I love him for it. And my Grandma doesn't have to say anything, she can just sit beside me and touch my hair or my hands and no words will have to pass, only the silent language of her having loved me for 28 years. I can almost perceive part of myself reverting back into a child. For an evening.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with Ruby: tumbs up on that one. It's true, to think of your mom praying? Is there a sweeter thought? Especially because you know she's praying for you?

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog and a beautiful visit! I could see it all again, until the tears clouded me up again. Visits are like electolite shots. So needful, so essential and lifegiving. The more good-bys, the better. We must plan for more of them! I just hope that "The Monster At The End Of This Book" is read often and that no matter how ordinary you read it, the girls will hear Grama in her GROVER voice all over again. I love those girls, I love you all so much. Thank you for being such fabulous children. Mom

vicky said...

awww...your family is so cute! I miss you Sarah. Want to get together soon?

Rhiannon said...

Everytime I sing "love is spoken here" in Primay I shed tears as well. Just remembering the things my parents taught or just what I want and teach Jersey.

Pam said...

Caught up on your blog, Sarah. Wow what a gret photographer and writer! I love your spirit.

maren out my laundry said...

Sarah I cannot stop laughing at Ruby and Grace, killin me!
You are such a beautiful writter! I am jealous....I'm glad you had a great visit with your parents and grandparents.

Jen said...

So beautifully written! Aren't families AWESOME!
Elder Medley came to dinner Monday night ( I have a very interesting pic I will have to email you )...you guys should be very proud! He is such a leader and example to the other missionaries!