Friday, June 22, 2007

Injury


Careful if you're woozy around blood. I'm not. Injuries interest me... that's another subject...
Grace tripped and fell and hit her mouth on the first cement step up to our porch. She was barefoot and in a swimsuit. At first I thought she had just cut her gum, no big deal. Then I laid her in my lap after I had iced it and she had calmed down and I felt her tooth--- and gasp, inhale, rush of emotion---- it was LOOSE!!! Now this is one of my biggest fears confirmed, that my little one will knock out her tooth and she'll have to go years without a front tooth. So a little tear comes to my eye and I fear the worst. But. Not to worry, we arrived at the clinic and the doctor told us that she will be fine. That the tooth will not be loose anymore in a few days. I was amazed. All my fears melted away, and by fears I mean the football-field-sized needle that dentists use being used on my little four-yr baby, her crying, maybe screaming, her tooth being pulled, lots of milk shakes and yogurt, being made fun of in the "what happened to your teeth" sense, the first day of kindergarten being different as if school wasn't hard enough. Phew. She is fine. She's still fine. Phew.

10 comments:

Kasey said...

That picture gave me the willies! I too am always interested in seeing injuries. My friend just had strep and I had her show me her nasty throat the minute I saw her! Funny how those things intrigue me.
Poor little Grace. I'm glad she didn't loose her tooth. That would not be fun. By the way, what lens did you use to take the pic?

{Erica} said...

NICE Picture...I keep finding so many things in common with you....injuries interest me as well!

We're going on THREE (yes, uno, dos, tres) times Ella has loosened a tooth and even ripped her frenulum....I'm surprised at how sturdy those kids teeth and mouths are!

ps aren't you loving this weather?!! UTAH is THEE BEST!

Sarie said...

Kase- I just used my canon powershot point and shoot, I just put it on portrait mode (the little flower), so it would focus better.
My brother went to Alaska for the summer and took his nikon with him, so it'll be no professional shots for me until August when he comes back! I can't manage to save up 3k for the one I want.

Jamie said...

Ouch, poor baby! I get obsessed with stuff like that also. Things can gross me out but I can't stop looking at the same time. I'm not looking forward to the injury stage of child rearing.

Kate said...

Oh Sarah! Just picturing sweet little gracie during her moment of trauma makes me so sad! I sure miss her sweet smile. Let's bbq next week. maybe family night? hope to see you tomorrow. Linds

Debbi said...

Poor Gracie!!! I did that when I was little - I tripped but my front tooth wasn't just loose, it came out! I was just like your fears and had to wonder around forever withought a front tooth.

Glad she didn't! :)

kevin said...

im just going to get my kid dentures right off the bat. he'll be two days old with a full set of chompers!

vicky said...

Cool picture! I am glad that everything is going to be okay.

Kelly said...

OUCH!!! I hate it when my kids get hurt. SO glad you were able to salvage the tooth.

maren out my laundry said...

youch!! Glad she's ok and she won't be toothless forever. Thats not fun just ask molly!