Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A little girl and her potty.

It's a chilly, sunny day here in Utah and I have a throbbing headache... but I thought a good old fashioned (not really old fashioned, kind of high tech, really) blog post aught to get my brain sauce flowing quickly... or quickER.

So I thought I'd spread the news:
I'm potty training Ruby.
After the airplane episode (see post below), I'm sure you can't blame me. And her bum and thighs look so cute in underwear how could I resist? She has the #1 thing DOWN. I mean completely mastered. I take her to her little potty, and she goes. Almost every time. No coaxing, no reading 6 books waiting for that little tinkle sound, no making up stories about how the pee needs to go back to her family in the toilet (a family theory). Ruby watched Grace so much that she found it more normal for a little girl to pee NOT in a diaper, but into a recepticle (varies between the plastic potty from Walmart, the nursery toilet and the big toilet in Ikea).-- And yes, Ikea has opened here in Utah and I've been twice. It's only been open a week.

Anyway, Ruby has been struggling with #2 just like Grace has. Maybe kids feel less of a cue, or the cue just doesn't come as often as #1... who knows. I see the signs, which consist of 1)a long space of time since the last time she went and 2)stinky "toolies" (her version of "tooties"). I sit her on the potty and much coaxing happens. Lots of conversations with that little 2 year old girl about life, liberty and bowel movements. We get to know eachother better, but nothing that I want to have happen, happens.

While cleaning her today after the deed had been done in the wrong place AGAIN (in her pullup at the library), I say, "Ruby, I'm glad you got your poos out, you should do them in the toilet next time, that's the GOOD thing to do!" (while forcing a VERY positive attitude-voice when not really feeling very positive). She says, "NO, I do poos in mine PULLL-UP", (or "mine UNDIES", or "in mine DIAPER"). Her brow is very furrowed by now and mine is too. I'm confused and baffled, but not resigned to spending a whole year at this like I did with Grace.
Suggestions are encouraged, if not required. Please help.

8 comments:

Kasey said...

Oh Sarah. I feel for you. I am sorry to say that I don't really have any ideas for you. I think I try to block out my memories of those times! Not fun.
I am intrigued by your story about giving pee back to the family in the toilet. What's that one about?!
Good luck! If I get any ideas, I'll send them your way.

{Erica} said...

HA...you said brain sauce...I thought I was the only one who used that term! Potty traning I only wish on my worse enemy ...good luck with that!

Debbi said...

Good luck! Gage stuggles with that one too. Somedays are good and somedays...well let's just say we've had poop on our carpet and had to use our carpet cleaner. I guess it's a process! At least you have girls. Wade is trying to get Gage to stand up - that is a VERY intersting story. The other day I was sitting in front of Gage helping him and he showed me that you have to "shake it!" But it was pointing at me as he shook it! funny - but Gross!

Josh, Kim & Kids said...

You make me want to hold off on Bentley for a while. How big do they make diapers?

Lindsey said...

Good luck Sarah. Wish I had advice, but I'm not there yet. When the day comes, I'll be looking for you for tips! The family theory is pretty good!

LuCDay said...

This one makes me laugh. I haven't introduced the toilet to Johnny yet and I think it'll take me awhile. I'm a little gun shy after going through it with Alex. I got a great tip from my sister though for #2. Tell her that if her tummy hurts, she probably needs to run to the bathroom. So from then on Alex would tell me her tummy hurt and we'd race to the toilet. Literally RACE to the bathroom. The two of us, ready, set, go! Worked pretty good. Good luck!

maren out my laundry said...

Hmmmm..sooo frustearting! We were the opposite, kirsten was #2 trained first. I would say try the whole rewards thing, worked for us like a charm! Set her down, make a chart and after she poos twice she gets a small prize (cheapy dollar store stuff) after 5, bigger, 10 etc. Worked so great for us! I hope you can find something because there is nothing worse than changing a poopy from a squishy pull-up!
either way YAY for ruby!!!

Hannah said...

Whoa Sarah, it HAD been a while since I talked to you, I had no idea she was even sitting on the toilet!! Great work! Because I am such an expert... I would say Rubster is one of a kind. Judging by her charming determination, she won't do it till she is darn good and ready. Then one day she will say "Mammy, I do poos in the toilet." And no more pull ups. Good luck, you are a stellar mommy!