Monday, April 02, 2007

Thoughts on Grace.


Today Gracie grinned at me and said, "Mom, I am NOT going to grow up". Not surprising, really, since I sit by her bedside at night and make her give me her promise, her WORD- that she will not grow again overnight like she did last night. It never works, but at least she tries.

The picture is of her two years ago. She was 2 years old and we were in Arcata at my Grandpa's. Her hair is curly because of the coastal air and that dimple in her elbow, I can't even begin to express how it tugs at those lines in my forehead. I love it. I love her. I didn't expect motherhood to be quite like this. Seriously, but look at that picture, who skateboards in a t-shirt that says "I love Mommy" (gotta love Old Navy), a hat that says "I love Mommy", a large belly from drinking so much milk, and flowing hair that hasn't been cut since birth? Well, the answer is she wasn't skateboarding. She was holding it waiting for one of her aunts or uncles to come and push her on it. What a rose.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this post.

Anonymous said...

Should I even say it? I will. Because growing up happens as hard as you try to stop it and inhale it. It will not be very long before the title to her blog posts will be "Grace on Thoughts" and her girls will be the subject. And your beautiful talent for writing will be there, under her porcelin hand. No matter how tall, how Grace-ful, how lovely she becomes, new fabulous moments will come that you will not want to let go. Just paste and copy these heart-thoughts you write now in twenty years when Grace's daughter stands beside a fence with a long-board and hair that hasn't been cut. See if you can do it without crying...

Kelly said...

What a beautiful little girl. I say the same thing to Ammon but he always says, "but mom I want to get bigger." I can't imagine the day a little toddler won't be calling me mommy or giving me hugs and kisses every other minute. Seriously depressing!

Kasey said...

Wow Sarah, she is beautiful! I love that picture too. It is like a glimpse of her as a teenager. I get glimpses like that of my kids every now and then and I must admit tha it scares me a little.
Time goes by way too quickly.

Debbi said...

Your girls are so beautiful and I love the stories you tell about them. The skate board cracks me up, she is the perfect mixture of you two!

LuCDay said...

I so wish we lived closer so our girls could be best friends. I love Gracie and I love the stories you tell of her and the perfect pictures you share of her!