Tuesday, May 01, 2007

And yes, it was so great.


Wow wow wow. The trip was "wundebar!", as my 11th grade German teacher, Frau Bird, would have put it. A weekend in the desert with the best music around and 100,000 sweaty people. At one point, I was listening to Stephen and Damien Marley renditioning, "Jamaica Jamaica" and "Buffalo Soldier" and people were literally puffing on a joint on a stick being passed through the crowd. Suddenly all these strangers loved eachother very much. Aside from the blatent use of drugs, the music was so real and so deep. Sean Watkins from Nickel Creek belted "Somebody More Like You", and Chris Thile was the best mandolinist that ever lived, like he always is. Into the evening we listened to Amy Winehouse and her very talented band and back up dancers.. who I wanted to meet more than Amy herself. Of Montreal, Satellite Party, and Rufus Wainright were among other performers that night.

We spent the next day napping on the sand at Oceanside Beach. Very crowded, cloudy, but the beach nonetheless. I thought about my kids, hm, every 10-20 minutes but found that I was very comfortable without them for a few days. Coming back was an anticipation that I haven't felt in a long time. Anticipation to hug and kiss my girls and squeeze their little bods, anticipation to kiss Jake to death and the yearning to be home again. I loved that feeling. I got in touch with my inner hippie for a weekend. Little Katie (Katie is my brother Gideon's girlfriend, Gid is on a mission in Atlanta) and I sang so loud in the car on the way home that my voice has gone hoarse today. We did stop off in Vegas for some Cheesecake Factory indulgence and Louis Vitton window shopping. Very, very, saucy.

7 comments:

{Erica} said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend full of adventure and song. Are you sure you didn't get a little buzz from being around all the "love"! :)

Debbi said...

That sounds like so much fun. I always think a weekend off sounds like so much fun and that I would go do all these fun things, but then I know I would be just like you, thinking of my kids every 10-20 minutes! Glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

How cute are you? I'm glad you had fun. I can't imagine leaving my little girl, but you give me hope that I'll be able to do it;)

Love your music selection that plays when I click on your blog. I always scan through them to get more new finds. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sarah- your trip sounds like a blast! I always tell Len in my heaven there will be a concert every night! Concerts are the best! Love Nickel Creek too- you'll have to tell me all about it one of these days! Laura

Hannah said...

Ugh, I wish I could have gone! great pics and sounds like you had a great time!!

maren out my laundry said...

wow!! You little rebel you ;) Glad you had a great time, sounds like quite the pick up and go trip how fun I'm so jealous! Glad you had a great time, love the pics!

Kelly said...

Cheesecake factory is my all time fav! Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Gideon's girlfriend seems like she fits right in. How is he?