Wednesday, April 18, 2007

And its snowing today

When it snows in April, something happens to people. Their faces turn an odd color and they try to stay warm with a long sleeved t-shirt and metallic flat shoes with no socks. Then women look down at their capris and make a silent promise they will continue wearing spring clothes during the two weeks of snowy cold. Anything to keep the winter clothes in their respective boxes until next year.
Winter here in Utah is no joke. I've never seen a better demonstration of the word "hunker down". People must be doing something inside their homes. People MUST live here. And you literally never know what's going to happen. You can't just breeze through with flip flops, when toes can really freeze off in the 2 minutes it takes for your car heater to get hot.
When we lived in Mesa, the summers were scorching. We air conditioned our house and I still couldn't sit by the wall or by a window or I would have serious sweat. The heat would somehow seep through walls, insulation, window cracks, door jams. Then there's April in Lehi. To bed, I wear cotton pjs, a hooded sweatshirt, and socks huddled under a down comforter. Ridiculous. And when it snows in late spring, people are downright ANGRY about it. A gloomy, raunchy mood envelopes the town like the angel of death. With big white chunky flakes falling from the sky.

There goes our green grass.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/84043?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

I think sticking to weather helps me not think about things like VA.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

OH when will we find that perfect place, where the weather is always perfect, there is still snowboarding, beaches, warm (not hot weather), where your toes never freeze.. When you find it let me know, I am there!!

Rhiannon said...

I have tried to think of the perfect place. I don't think there is such a place. I am so sad about the snow. I was getting use to my kids being outside, they being tired at night and not staying up until 12am. I vow though to still show my toes. They need to see the light.

Unknown said...

Well said Sarah. What is it with all of this weird weather. My little bro in CO had school cancelled for snow last week. What?Be grateful that when it's hatefully cold or hatefully hot in Utah, you have the option of going to your garage to warm up the car before you have to go anywhere. At least you don't have to live in a place where if it's cold--hatefully cold--you still have to walk five blocks to get to a subway station where even if you get as far from the entrance as possible, you can still feel the wind and cold.

Anonymous said...

And you want us to move out there from this beautiful, gray, fishy, green, immersing, chilly, living, breathing, alive, isolated, incredible home of ours? I would miss curling my toes around the edge of the world. I would miss the few sunsets under the overcast of clouds, the sun rays blazing across the sea. I would miss the fences that watched you play. I would cry every day for the ocean salt in the air, the noisy silence in the redwood grove, the traffic jams on broadway during Christmastime, calling the police on the kids making trouble at Highland Park, walking to Stinky Beach from my house, living in a huge house with low payments, seeing the sun and freaking out with joy. I am torn and supremely happy.