Friday, March 23, 2007

Blood Diamond

We watched Blood Diamond last night. My brother bought it and came over to watch it with us. It was SO excellent. I thought Leo would be a faker the whole time with his South African accent, but he turned out to be a really great character. and Djimon! He is my fave in the world. He's amazing. The whole thing made me so depressed. I can read about Africa, and read African news, and the whole continent is a little obsession of mine, but watching events dramatized on film is so hard. If it's hard for me to watch I can only imagine what it's like to be in the countries when civil war and genocide are taking place. It rips my heart out. Felt the same way about Hotel Rwanda, and Catch a Fire. Why is this happening? The story behind Blood Diamond is interesting, and the Zimbabwe insurgents killed for a different reason than those in Rwanda did. I guess both can be summed up as a struggle for money and power.
I need to do something about this.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Wow, I really want to watch that bad! I had no idea it was out, I will have to snatch it from Jared when I am feeling better! Good insight Sarah, you are awesome. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I love the books, "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series. It is set in Botswanna. I think my soul rests well in that place, while just next door is horror, carnage and cries for the gospel in those lands. Africa does not hold the corner on the blood market, any more than America holds the corner on the hope market. Someday, I hope my tearful prayers are answered that the sun will rise on all places and that the children will pick up where their parents gave up.

Anonymous said...

This movie killed me! I told Len that I LOVE my ring & it's very sentimental, but let's get something more simple with no diamonds!!! I was dead serious- it was so emotional for me.