Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year's Eve


We got some money for Christmas, so we thought we would have an exciting New Year's Eve by booking a room at the Hilton in Salt Lake and watching the fireworks out the 10th story window at midnight... and watch CABLE TV for a night! I envisioned Jake and I, with arms around eachother and city lights on our faces, gazing out the window at the early hours of 2007... glancing back at our beautiful girls sleeping peacefully on the bed next to ours. What really happened is that Ruby started doing a whine/cry (which is ETERNAL and never stops) around 11 p.m... Gracie and Daddy fell asleep around then and moody Ruby and I rang in the New Year together, watching CNN and listening to the fireworks. It was a lovely night. Until 4:30 a.m. when Ruby woke up again (I blame it on teeth, sinus infection, earache, tummy ache... who really knows?). After finally going back to sleep, Jake with Ruby in one bed and Me with Grace in the other queen bed, at promptly 7:30 a.m. sharp, Grace peed the bed and everyone laying in it. Which was me and her. The whining again commenced and the whole family was up by then. A LOVELY morning!!!
I am being sarcastic, but really, we had a great time. It was so nice to be 'away', and we really do have so many things to be grateful for.
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS: 1. Be a better wife and mother (the specifics of which I will keep confidential :) 2. Help achieve our financial goals for 2007. And last but not least... 3. For heaven's sake, keep blogging!!!!!

12 comments:

The White Way said...

You are so funny. Sounds like a life of parents, you can never escape. Hope you have a amazing year and thanks so much for all your prayers.

LuCDay said...

What a way to bring in the new year. You crack me up, it's a good thing you blog so we can all share in the laughter that is your life!

Anonymous said...

Scott and I just read this together and had a good laugh. He said, "It's nice to know we're not alone". Thanks for that...

Happy New Year!

Jen said...

That's a new years I can identify with! You have a beautiful family! Those girls are precious! BTW, I went out and bought 'One Thousand White Women' after you recommended it and have just finally had a chance to read it. I am about thirty pages in and really enjoying it...I keep getting confused that it is actually fiction! Happy New Years....good luck on those resolutions!

maren out my laundry said...

wow sounds to me like I would have rather stayed home. ;) just kidding glad you guys had a great time, sounds like fun!

Debbi said...

You are the best for blogging this story! It's great. Wade and I went to bed at 10pm...how sad is that? With a baby that wakes up every 2 hours to eat, there was NO way I was up to staying up later than I needed too!

Kasey said...

You have the best pictures of your girls! So, your night at the hotel was cracking me up. Like everyone else has said, it's great to know those things happen to everyone!

Kelly said...

That first picture of Grace is beautiful. Even though things didn't go as planned, I'm sure it was nice to have a change of scenery. I think I will have the same goals as you this year!

{Erica} said...

I occasionally look at your blog through Debbi's blog. This story is soo dang hillarious and I bet all the mom's out there have had something like this happen to them or will have it happen to them! Such a great story! I hope you don't mind that I peek in once in a while... :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the way everyone spends New Years Eve? You know what I mean, huh Sare.

Chris and Cindy said...

You always make me laugh. Oh to be a fly on one of the Smylie's walls. :) I think what I liked best about your New Years story wasn't how everything turned out a little different than planned, but how it seemed like second nature to you. Remind me to let you raise my kids for me. Which, by the way, will be sooner than ANYONE thought. I'm due to deliver our first baby August 14th. Crazy huh?

Grama Mary said...

I love my wondeful family!